S

Westland Wyvern

Started by SinUnNombre, May 25, 2006, 04:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc Yo

Quote from: GTX on December 12, 2009, 06:33:34 PM
Already done, though I do think it still needs more.

Regards,

Greg

Well, I'll make a couple of suggestions. First would be add some fillets along the lines of the blended
wing of the XP-67. You could also try lowering the engine nacelles relative to the wing ( little better
view from the cockpit ) and beefing up the landing gear.

GTX

Does anyone know if there is a conversion available to make the 1/48 Trumpeter Wyvern S.4 into a Wyvern TF Mk 1 with the original Rolls-Royce Eagle engine?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

The Wooksta!

Maintrack did one in 72nd many years ago to convert the Frog/Novo kit but, like most Maintrack stuff, it needed a lot of work and the shape of the nose radiator was way off.  It could be adapted for the Trumpeter kit but it would be more work than it's worth.  Besides which, Czechmaster do one in 72nd which is superb.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitnut617

Quote from: GTX on August 14, 2010, 03:38:43 PM
Does anyone know if there is a conversion available to make the 1/48 Trumpeter Wyvern S.4 into a Wyvern TF Mk 1 with the original Rolls-Royce Eagle engine?

Regards,

Greg

CMK do the TF.1 in 1/72 resin, got three of them, one to build as is, one with a Clyde engine and one for the original concept, a mid-engined aircraft.  I've not heard of a 1/48 one though, but checking my PAK-20 book a number of companies made a 1/48th kit, vac or resin, but it doesn't say what mark they were.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

Playing with bits last night, I put a Hellcat engine nacelle up against a Wyvern, and it's near-as-damn it a perfect fit in both height and width. Note that I'm not advocating this as "logical" improvement to the Wyvern, just as a pure fantasy whiff to make an all-new aeroplane.

Quote from: GTX on December 12, 2009, 12:21:48 PM
Westland Whirlwind II ;D:

Regards,

Greg

That's gorgeous!  :thumbsup:

My immediate thought is that the nacelles could be based on upside-down Il-28 Beagle ones. Hell, why upside down? Just sling 'em under the wing like the original Whirlwind...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rickshaw

Underslung might have problems with prop tip clearance when it picks up the wire.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Quote from: rickshaw on February 19, 2011, 03:27:26 AM
Underslung might have problems with prop tip clearance when it picks up the wire.

Why more so than a Tigercat or Sea Hornet? Anyway, simple solution is to make it land-based,if it's a Whirlwind successor.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

ysi_maniac

That twin engined Wyvern is just perfect! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.

kitnut617

I've been thinking about doing a Python engined Manchester, two 5000 shp engines would solve that aircraft's problems ---  ;D

I'm leaning towards setting up the air intakes like a HP Herald has it's intakes.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

rickshaw

Quote from: Weaver on February 19, 2011, 09:07:56 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on February 19, 2011, 03:27:26 AM

Why more so than a Tigercat or Sea Hornet? Anyway, simple solution is to make it land-based,if it's a Whirlwind successor.

They had longer undercarriage.  That could be the answer to your problem as well.

Weaver

Quote from: Weaver on February 19, 2011, 02:52:23 AM

My immediate thought is that the nacelles could be based on upside-down Il-28 Beagle ones. Hell, why upside down? Just sling 'em under the wing like the original Whirlwind...

Just tried this with a Frog Wyvern and an Airfix Beagle. It's just about perfect:

The Beagle's inner wing-root section is close enough to the Wyvern's to fit the fuselage.

The Beagle's outer wing is only a couple of feet longer than the Wyvern's whole wing, so you could use the entire Beagle wing if you wanted.

The Beagle's outer-wing-root section is close enough to the Wyvern's that you could adapt the latter's to fit.

The Beagle's air intakes are too small for the Wyvern's props to fit while allowing for an annular air intake. However, they are, on the Airfix kit, a separate piece, which means you could replace them with a section cut from the front of the Wyvern's fuselage: you'll need two Wyvern's for their props anyway.

- Indiana Jones

The Wooksta!

Novo Wyverns are cheap these days too.  Hell, you can get boxed Frog originals for a fiver - ten years ago they were like gold dust!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Weaver

One downside is that the Beagle's u/c retracts the wrong way for a tail-dragger. You could hack the pods about to reverse it, or you could, of course, use the new fuselage nose to house a nosewheel, nicked from something like an Aircobra.

- Indiana Jones

rickshaw

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 20, 2011, 01:08:04 PM
Novo Wyverns are cheap these days too.  Hell, you can get boxed Frog originals for a fiver - ten years ago they were like gold dust!

Do you mind if I ask where you shop?  I've never seen prices like that on EvilBay (my main source for older kits).

The Wooksta!

Don't know about ebay but I've picked up a few Frog Wyverns over the past year or so quite cheaply. 

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan: