F4U, AU1 (Vought), FG1, F2G (Goodyear), and F3A (Brewster) Corsair.

Started by nev, December 22, 2002, 12:11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Interesting photo of those "birdcage" Corsairs with the latter engines Jon  :thumbsup:

Nice profiles Carlos  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 21, 2018, 12:11:27 AM
Interesting photo of those "birdcage" Corsairs with the latter engines Jon  :thumbsup:

+1   :thumbsup:

The Wasp Major 'Birdcage' would make a good what-if I think (memo to self: pick up some more silicone rubber for moulds)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jcf

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 21, 2018, 06:12:31 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on October 21, 2018, 12:11:27 AM

+1   :thumbsup:

The Wasp Major 'Birdcage' would make a good what-if I think (memo to self: pick up some more silicone rubber for moulds)

I have the 1/48 Tamiya F4U-1 and 1/48 Special Hobby F2G destined for an engine swap.  ;D

jcf

A bit of esoterica that may be of interest. OAL is installed length.
F4U-1/1C: R2800-8/8W Dia: 52.50", OAL: 88.47"
F4U-4/7: R2800-18/18W Dia: 52.80", OAL: 93.77"
F4U-5: R2800-32W Dia: 52.80", OAL: 96.5"

F4U-1(WM): Wasp Major TSB1-G (R4360) Dia: 52.50", OAL: 96.75"
F2G-1: R4360-4 Dia: 52.50", OAL: 96.75"

KJ_Lesnick

I like the Corsair SAW, the F4U with the Napier Sabre, and the Vulture drawings best
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

jcf

Here's a comparison of the standard F4U R-2800 installation and the R-4360 installation
of the F4U-1 WM testbed.

Note that the length from the firewall to the front of the cowling is pretty much the same,
the installation used a standard cowling with a new section added to the rear.

tahsin

Quote from: AS.12 on February 23, 2013, 01:52:41 PM
Oh look what I found!  An AĆ©ronavale Corsair with underwing SS-11s.  Caption notes that it was flying from Arromanches for a series of tests in the late 1950s.

Original page here: http://avions-de-la-guerre-d-algerie.over-blog.com/40-index.html

The most extensive info l have ever seen on subject
https://wwiiafterwwii.wordpress.com/2017/04/14/guided-missiles-on-corsairs/

zenrat

Quote from: tahsin on October 08, 2021, 02:03:11 PM
Quote from: AS.12 on February 23, 2013, 01:52:41 PM
Oh look what I found!  An AĆ©ronavale Corsair with underwing SS-11s.  Caption notes that it was flying from Arromanches for a series of tests in the late 1950s.

Original page here: http://avions-de-la-guerre-d-algerie.over-blog.com/40-index.html

The most extensive info l have ever seen on subject
https://wwiiafterwwii.wordpress.com/2017/04/14/guided-missiles-on-corsairs/

Fascinating.  Thanks for the link.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

tahsin

A pleasure to be of use... Was following a link in What lf to imodeller, noticed a Turkish Fw-190 which then led to that forum about post WW ll service of weapons and gear. Supposedly Russians have documents that say anti-tank missiles were used against them which must be against expert opinion these days? Modelling wise this of course means a guided Tiny Tim on a F4U-4B...

zenrat

Could have been another job for Stukas.  They could approach, turn away from the target, fire the missile and have the back seater guide it in.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

tahsin

Indeed. Everybody might have once imagined a very aerodynamic Stuka with Corsair wings, probably square tipped in the British variety.

It came to me that considering Marine Corsairs with large rockets were slated to be used against V-1 launchers, the ETO  Corsair might have been an 1C with those long gun barrels, inevitable D-Day stripes and perhaps an Atlantic livery instead of the all over Pasific Blue. Though l would keep the latter. With 4 or so antennas on each wing, somewhat like those early radio antennas, 2 above and 2 below, extending straight up and down instead of making 90 degrees to the wing. Placed maybe roughly at the location of the radar pod and repeated mirror like on the other wing. So that it could be claimed to be firing some sort of a beam rider with heavy HE content against those self propelled flak guns and flak batteries, finishing the job with immediate strafing. Dizzyfugu might provide a few of the targets with his Flak46 designs. Weasel Corsair44...

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Zero-Sen

Esperanto Air Force 'Pirate'.

Same machine after it was sold to RoT Navy.