Radial Spitfire

Started by McGreig, February 02, 2008, 03:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGreig

A last minute change of plan. Because of January work commitments, the Tu-57 isn't going to be finished in time, so my entry in this GB is now the Russian radial Spitfire. Begun in late November, it's also been on hold in January, but it only needed decals and varnish.

For anyone who missed the original thread, the background to this build is that, while the Russians received 1,337 Spitfires, they didn't particularly like them. 74 Regiments, including at least one Guards Shturmovik Regiment, were equipped at one time or another with Hurricanes and 59 with Airacobras, but only 18 Regiments had Spitfires and units such as the 57 Guards Fighter Regiment and the 821 Fighter Regiment were only too happy to switch from Spitfires to Airacobras. Neither the Merlin engine nor the narrow track undercarriage were robust enough for front line Russian conditions and the Spitfire wasn't really designed for the low altitude Eastern Front air war. Most Spitfires were sent to PVO air defence units which operated from fixed locations with developed airfields around major cities.

Although the Hurricane was more suited to Russian conditions, it too suffered from excessive engine wear and the Soviets came up with a plan to overcome this problem by re-engining Hurricanes with Ash-82 radials. Although the plan came to nothing, I've wondered if something similar could have been done with the Spitfire. It wouldn't have solved the undercarriage problem, but it would have improved the Spitfire's reliability and suitability for the Eastern Front air war.

The donor kits were the Airfix Spitfire Vb and the Revell La-5. For real piston perfection I should probably have used the MkIX/XVI and the La-7 but the result would have looked fairly similar.

kitnut617

I like that  :wub:  very nice!
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Rat

Bloody 'ell, that works better than I could ever expect!  :wub:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Maverick

Awesome build Gordon,

Looks like it was meant to be!

Regards,

Mav

kitbasher

Very nice indeed. As one of those who couldn't believe id could be done, humble pie is being eaten in large amounts!
As an aside, what colours have you used?  Inspired by Gooberliberation's MC-209 'Razzo', I'm in-lining an La-5FN, to be finished in Russian colours.  This was going to be my third PP GB entry but time ran out.
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Glenn Gilbertson

Beautifully modelled and convincing - surprising how well the combination works!

Ed S

WOW.  It really looks right.  Who'd a thunk it?

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

McGreig

Thanks everyone. This was a build where, for once, everything went more or less according to plan. I had to pull out of the Milton Keynes show at the last minute but I'm hoping to take it to the revived Southern Expo in mid March and see if it fools anyone - - -

Kitbasher - I used Humbrol enamels 127 (Light Ghost Grey) and 106 (RAF Ocean Grey). The underside is 65 Light Blue. I think that the Light Ghost Grey is technically too pale, but I've always liked the result it gives in this scale.

Good luck with the in-line La-5FN. I was contemplating this, using the remains from the radial Spitfire, but the Spitfire's Merlin cowling didn't look right and I've never got round to looking for something better. And anyway, I should be back at work on the Tu-57 - - -

Mike Wren

that looks great! super job!  :wub:

nev

A thing of beauty and a real double-take  :wub:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

ysi_maniac

Absolutely amazing concept and realization :o :wub: :o :wub: :o :wub:
Will die without understanding this world.