Avro Manchester, Lancaster, Lancastrian, Lincoln, Shackleton

Started by nev, July 31, 2002, 11:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Yes, very useful Greg, where did you find those? I've been looking for ages and there's nothing even in the Crowood Publications book on the Shackleton.

Are there any pics from that source showing the bodywork of the cowlings?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

GTX

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 14, 2010, 06:31:16 AM
Yes, very useful Greg, where did you find those? I've been looking for ages and there's nothing even in the Crowood Publications book on the Shackleton.

Are there any pics from that source showing the bodywork of the cowlings?

From this:

I'm afraid all that you see is what there was.

Regards,

Greg

kitbasher

Quote from: raafif on August 01, 2009, 05:08:40 PM
During WW2 only a few countries flew Lancasters -- Britain (with crews from UK, Canada, Australia & Sth Africa), Canada itself, Russia (three) and Germany (one aircraft).

My late Uncle Bill did a tour as a tail gunner on 550 Sqn (one sortie in 'Phantom of the Rhur' to boot - I have his log book) and his crew was headed up by an American pilot (USAAF).  A rarity made even rarer by the fact that Flight Officer Fauman was an NCO pilot.  There's a pic of that particular crew in the 'Ton Up Lancasters' book.
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

GTX

I understand the Lancaster bomb-bay was designed around being able to carry a couple of torpedoes - has anyone modelled one loaded as such?

Regards,

Greg

The Wooksta!

Not as far as I know but then the idea of using such a large aircraft to attack shipping at torpedo dropping height is utterly ludicrous, if not downright suicidal.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitnut617

I think you'll find the idea manifested during the design of the twin engined version, the Manchester.  It of course being a smaller wing-spanned aircraft and not much bigger than some of the oppositions twin engined torpedo bombers.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Wooksta!

Even so, the Manchester is still a pretty big aircraft.

Hmmn, a Centaurus engined one with a pair of torpedoes and all the mods for the Lancaster - ie Lancaster turrets and fins - in Coastal Command colours and Warwick squadron markings could look rather good.

Still think it's suicidal though...
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

rickshaw

Wellingtons, which are not much smaller than a Manchester were used operationally as Torpedo Bombers, while the Japanese made extensive use of their medium/heavy bombers as torpedo aircraft.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

GTX

Quotethe idea of using such a large aircraft to attack shipping at torpedo dropping height is utterly ludicrous

It will fit in well here then? ;D

Actually, I probably like the idea of a modified Manchester doing it.

Regards,

Greg

jcf

GTX

What about a Manchester with twin (or perhaps three) Bristol Hercules radials or even Centaurus?

Regards,

Greg

jcf

Two and four Hercules were proposed early on for the Type 679 design.

The Manchester II was proposed with either two 2,100 hp Napier Sabre I or 2,500 hp Bristol Centaurus.

Dwgs from 21st Profile, Vol.1 No. 6.

Jon

alertken

The reason it was not thought suicidal was the same as putting slow Stringbags on the very expensive Illustrii. RN Admirals, 1934-ish, did not believe, either that aeroplanes could find, then drop bombs on vessels, or that shipborne AAA (manned, remember, not as an established trade, but by stewards &tc not otherwise tasked at Action Stations) could hit anything. Torpedoes rule, OK.