WHIFs found at HyperScale

Started by philp, January 06, 2009, 07:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

To each his (or her, thank you Reg) own.
We build our way, they build theirs.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Librarian

Quote from: zenrat on January 22, 2017, 02:53:08 AM
To each his (or her, thank you Reg) own.
We build our way, they build theirs.

:thumbsup:. I came from, whilst not a counter, a point of modelling where accuracy was a serious issue (colours mainly). I spend huge amounts of time and effort cutting, test fitting, filling, sanding etc to put a whif together and can say I still find it easier than putting together a real-world completed aircraft.

My current project based around the new Hobbyboss 1/48 F4U is a case in point...I can go nuts with it, but would find it very difficult to put together accurately. The parts count for the wings alone is daunting and the fit.. :banghead:.

63cpe

I second your opinion Zenrat (Fred).

There will always be rivet counters disregarding whiffies. As people like to keep things the way they have known, and generally don't like change. I think this is like the shifting of paradigms in science. It will always lead to an in-group and an out-group. I don't need this in- or out group thinking, but it's just a fact of live. It's like live itself...one big experiment.
Modellers are just like ordinary people, some are rivet counters and like to form their own group (usually criticizing and complaining at modelling shows and building very little models themselves). Some are more openminded and see the potential of plastic models when it comes to cross kitting, kit bashing and creating your own whiffie.

I also started in building real-world aircraft (I think my F-4 serie is pretty OK). But I think real live modelling is a bit limited, and like to add some imagination. From a young age (think i was about 12 or 13) I learned that I didn't like rivet counters as they always have something to criticize/complain about. This prevented any pleasure of modelling, let alone be creative and hone my modellingskills.  That's why i started whiffery (and like the "out of them whiffery closet"). I like to dream up what might have been or what could have been and try to build it. That's how the Breguet Dorand G-V happend... I also like to make the whiffies as real world as possible and frequently add aftermarket parts. I have to admit i hope the looks off a whif and the  modellingskills helps to accept it better for the modellers in general. The acceptance for myself is the most important anyhow...

At modelling shows I like all kinds of models and rank models on different scales depending on the genre and like some genres better then the other. I even like some details on models better then others and don't mind whatever the opinion of the jury is. It's totally irrelevant to me..

So I'll keep on whiffing and hope one day more modellers accept the creative freedom and addictive powers of whiffery.....

David

Old Wombat

Hear! Hear! Well said, that man! :bow: :bow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

I also started with real world models - building OOB at first, but also doing fantasy creations from wrecks (imagine an all light-grey Grumman Hellcat with Austrian markings and skis!), but when I grew older and got hands on literature I also re-created real world aircraft seen there in profiles or photos. That was at a time when the internet did not exist at all, and aftermarket parts or decals are real rarity.

Anyway, I found whiffing to be a real revelation to me - in the spirit of "be more than the people who wrote the program". Reality has its appeal, since there is a certain benchmark. And I think this is what appeals to many model builders (and the rivet counter in special): there's a guidance or limit that keeps them from having to be creative. Creating or following your own ideas frightens many - do not underestimate this.
A whif, on the other hand, can break through such boundaries. It is your own creation - be it based on real facts, a paper project, science fiction or simply a weird idea. This freedom scares many people with limited horizons.

So: keep whiffing and spreading the word, for a better, open-minded world!  :lol:

kerick

I brought a few whifs to a local scale model/railroad show and swap meet last Saturday. I received many nice comments and not one negative comment.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Dork the kit slayer

Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

TheChronicOne

Link took me to a main page of sorts.. I did ctrl-f to search for "F-86" and "F 86" and no results.  I'm sure it's there somewhere.  :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Whoa!  Pretty cool, thanks Sir!
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

I like that.  :thumbsup:

That'll be an FJ-5 then? Or an F-1F under the unified scheme?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Madoc

That FJ-87M is very nicely done indeed!
Wherever you go, there you are!

nighthunter

Crap, not another inspiration, lol
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr