High Mobility Battlefield Logistics Transport - The Build

Started by Old Wombat, July 16, 2012, 09:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 19, 2016, 07:34:34 PM
Thanks, guys! :bow:

Masking was blue-tac, with Scotch blue masking tape to minimise overspray.

I'll have to remember that trick. Worked well.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Quote from: kerick on April 20, 2016, 06:30:26 PM
Quote from: Old Wombat on April 19, 2016, 07:34:34 PM
Thanks, guys! :bow:

Masking was blue-tac, with Scotch blue masking tape to minimise overspray.

I'll have to remember that trick. Worked well.

Just remember to roll the blue-tac into cylinders & to spray vertically or slightly away from the blue-tac, & not to thin your paint too much to avoid paint ridges (pity I didn't :-\ ).

Weaver

Looking great with the paint on: really brings it all together.  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

chrisonord

Really looking good this, the colour scheme certainly suits. Can't wait to see this thing finished. :thumbsup:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Old Wombat

Well, decals are on. :party:

They fought me all the way & don't look as good as I'd like but I'll live with it. I just have to hide them behind a bit of dirt, weathering & back story. :drink:

I'm now in the process of putting some wear-&-tear & paint onto 24 wheels. :banghead:

kitnut617

Quote from: Old Wombat on January 31, 2016, 04:02:29 AM

Interestingly, I used to convert RW Sea-Cans into something like that. Made them into workshops and sleeping quarters etc.  Nice work there  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

Woah...that is looking do good now ! Excellent work on the paint and thanks for the tips ! Did you say what paints they were ? The two greens look perfect together.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Old Wombat

Thank you, gentlemen! :bow:

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 19, 2016, 10:04:21 AM
ASLAV based scheme using Tamiya XF-78 Wooden Deck Tan, LifeColor UA 091 Dark Green (as the light green - go figure! :-\ ) & Tamiya XF-58 Olive Green (as the dark green). Not the actual Army colours but, then, they're going to be Marines vehicles when finished, so a bit of variation is OK in my universe.

(I really should start taking notes of things like this - it might add some consistency to my same-era builds! :banghead: )

Old Wombat

Quick update:

I'm trying to get this to a reasonable level of completion to display at the SAPMA Expo.

So, here are a couple of overview shots of where I'm at, still qite a few fiddly bits to do;

PR19_Kit

That looks pretty impressive, are all the wheels driven?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 10, 2017, 11:14:40 AM
are all the wheels driven?

For off-road operations that's the general idea & why I fitted 2 engines.

For on-road operations I'm envisioning that 2 engines would be used to get up to speed, then the rear engine would be disengaged & shut down, using only the front engine (which only powers the tractor) to maintain speed, thereby saving fuel. I'm thinking that the disengaging/engaging process of the rear engine would be a simple operation, allowing it to be re-started & re-engaged as necessary.

BTW: This is the M1137A3 version tractor unit (in my mind there are a number of production versions (M1137A1/A2/A3, the "A" variants being different weapon systems & improvements of the gearing & transmission systems; M1137B1/B2, the "B" models being mod's with completely new gearboxes & differentials; M1137R1/R2, the "R" versions being recce vehicles based on the A3 & B1 tractor units with the trailer-drive gearing removed, different weapons systems & advanced sensor systems)).

PR19_Kit

Very  cleverly thought out.  :thumbsup:

How will you display all that wonderful interior work you've done it? At first glance the trailer vehicles look like wheeled sheds, and they're anything BUT that!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

I've opened her up today. You have to look through the hatches (unfortunately the commander's hatch is sealed shut but that was the only option available at the time) but you can still see quite a bit of it :thumbsup:

... up close ... with a torch. ;)

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.