Bristol Bullet (aka Kitbasher's bid for SMW 2013 glory)

Started by kitbasher, November 06, 2013, 12:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

The Bristol Bullet was selected by the RAF as the successor to the Bristol Bulldog biplane fighter, entering service in 1935. The name 'Bullet' echoed that of the Bristol M.1C monoplane fighter used by the Royal Flying Corps during World War One. Powered by a Bristol Mercury engine, the Bullet was RAF's first monoplane fighter, first all-metal fighter and the first with an enclosed cockpit.
Although a radical departure from the RAF's biplane fighters, the Bullet was soon eclipsed by the Hawker Hurricane and Supermarine Spitfire, being passed on to freshly formed units as their first equipment to allow then to gain training before receiving more modern fighters. Bullets were also shipped to the Middle East, equipping three RAF squadrons until late 1940.

I have always fancied the idea of building the old Revel Peashooter and I took advantage of the Modelzone clearance to treat myself to one.  Not OOB, of course.  I always saw it as an opportunity to Anglicize the P-26 with a Mercury.  I was convinced from the start of the Bristol parentage simply by coming to the conclusion that the fin and rudder were similar to the Bristol Bulldog's.  Thus was born the Bullet.  Taken a couple of steps further (naturally - nothing like a bit of modelling 'mission creep' and we've all been there) through the addition of acanopy ad replacement tailplaanes to make the back end look lot less Boeing than it otherwise have looked).

Model: Revell Boeing P-26 with Matchbox Gladiator engine, propeller, guns, canopy cockpit fairing and squadron markings.  All other markings: Airfix Gladiator.  Tailplane: Airfix Supermarine S.6b

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

crudebuteffective

Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

PR19_Kit

You'd have a job figuring out that it started off as a Peashooter, it looks so VERY Bristol. Nice one.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TallEng

That's nice  :thumbsup:
Although the spats don't do it many favors do they?
They look like those baggy trousers from the 30's and 40's ;D
Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Captain Canada

Holy wow that is gorgeous ! I love the look, especially the side shot. Looks perfect. Great idea and very believeable !

:wub: :tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

deathjester

Really nice - well done!!

It looks like it was meant to be  :bow: :bow:

The Wooksta!

Nice.  It doesn't look too far from the real Bristol 133 either.  Did I give you a set of drawings for that one?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

63cpe

Well that just great work! looks absolutly believable. I could help staring at those spats..... :wub:
Simply magnificent!

I thought the engine nacelle was from an PZL Karas or Los... looks similar but whithout "the bulbs".

Thanks for sharing.
63CPE

lancer

If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

CSMO

Well done, sir! Beware the Hun in the sun. Squadron Leader Whiffer to the rescue. Adios, Larry. :bow:
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

kitbasher

Quote from: The Wooksta! on November 06, 2013, 05:46:24 PM
Nice.  It doesn't look too far from the real Bristol 133 either.  Did I give you a set of drawings for that one?

Thanks Lee, and no you didn't.  I've drawings in Shacklady & Morgan's Spitfire tome though and totally did not recall the 133.

But I compared it to the Mitsubishi A5M, Ki-18 and Ki-33 (and the P-26, natch!)
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Mike Wren