Piaggio P.120

Started by comrade harps, April 29, 2014, 06:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comrade harps

Piaggio P.120
378 Squadriglia, Regio Aeronautica
Hvardiiske, Crimea, summer 1942

Developed to meet a 1937 requirement for a long-range fighter and reconnaissance aircraft, the Piaggio P.210 went on to be one of the best reconnaissance planes of WW2.

The aircraft seen here has been fitted with a removable air sampling device, associated with the Axis hunt for the Red's atomic weapons program. Acting on what turned out to be misinformation, the reconnaissance aircraft of Luftflotte 4 undertook an extensive photographic and air sampling campaign from July 1942 to January 1943 in an attempt to determine the extent and progress of the Red atom program. Believing that there were atomic piles, processing facilities and test sites East of the Urals, Luftflotte 4 included the subordinate Italian strategic reconnaissance unit 378 Squadriglia in its search. Although 378 378 Squadriglia's Piaggio P.120s had long range, some missions conducted deep into the Red's Asian republics required the use of a ventral slipper fuel tank.

Unable to find any evidence of Red atomic research, Hitler ordered a stop to the search in January, 1943, declaring that "the Bolshevik Jews are too backwards" to produce such a weapon. Believing the Reds were not in the race for atomic supremacy, Hitler reduced his support for Germany's atomic program. Ironically, the Reds began their atomic weapons program just as the Germans stopped looking for it. Laboratory No. 2 of the S.U. Academy of Sciences was founded in March 1943 to develop atomic weapons technology and was located, not as expected in the Red Central Asian or Far Eastern republics, but near Moscow. Thus the reason for the misinformation had been achieved.

Whatever.

dumaniac

Dizzyfugu

Cool idea, and the paint scheme (looks very Australian?) and markings suit the sleek bird well!  :thumbsup:

In fact, the Ki-46 has some serious whiffing potential. I also have one in my stash, which I plan to convert into a license-built German aircraft with water cooled DB engines as a fast reconnaissance aircraft.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

That looks right - love the camo  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

lancer

That looks fantastic. Great build and superb cammo scheme..

I agree with Dizzy as well in that the KI46 has great wiffing potential.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Captain Canada

Very nice ! Definitely has a cool colour and camo scheme !

:cheers:

Really changes the look of her. Looks Italian for sure.

:tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

comrade harps

QuoteI agree with Dizzy as well in that the KI46 has great wiffing potential.

I agree. I do have another Airfix Dinah in the stash. Possible Romanian and equipped as bomber interceptor to defend Ploiești circa 1943. 30 or 37mm cannon in a fairing under the fuselage.

The camo on this is "interesting" isn't it?

Thanks again for your appreciation.
Whatever.

rickshaw

It's a nice model and a great backstory.  Looks lovely.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

aston

Doesn't look not Italian. Very nice colours ..... Farrow and Ball .... ???

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]