Northop RF-62 "Megasnark", March 1959

Started by nönöbär, March 26, 2016, 07:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nönöbär

Northrop RF-62 Megasnark, March 1959

The Plane:

The Northrop RF-62 Megasnark is one of the forgotten projects of the early days of the Cold War.

After developing the SM-62 Snark in the mid 1950s, a team lead by Lt.Col S.Cratch developed the idea of building a manned version of the SM-62. Their idea was to create a complete family of aircraft based on the Snark design: The F-62 Fighersnark, the A-62 Gigasnark Attack aircraft and the RF-62 Megasnark Recon aircraft.  The idea was to have cheap, expendable aircraft that could be produced in huge numbers and which should be launched together in massive strikes. This kind of operation was then called a "Snarknado".

It was projected to build mobile launch pads that the Snarks could be relocated quickly.

As the different versions of the manned Snark were based on the the original cruise missile – which was usually on a one way mission – no landing gear was fitted to the aircrafts. Therefore pilots either had to parachute when returned to their bases or use special prepared landing strips where the aircraft could do a belly landing. Critical voices said, in the concept of Lt.Col S.Cratch, a return of the pilots – the so-called "Snark-Riders" - was never a primary required during the project.

In March 1959, the first of the manned Snarks, the RF-62 "Megasnark" was completed and did its first flights. Flight characteristics were ok, however the high-nose flight profile of the Megasnark did not provide a good view for the Snark-Rider.

Three RF-62 were build which made a total of 26 flights. Most of the flights ended with successful belly landings, but in three of flights the Snark-Riders had to parachute and the aircraft were destroyed.
After this no more of those vehicles were build and Lt.Col S.Cratch left the Airforce, being upset that his great idea of the "Snarknado"  was not carried out.

The model shows the first RF-62 Magasnark before its first flight in March 1959.

The Model:
This is a 1982 re-release of the old Revell model of the Sm-62 Snark, produced in the 1950s. Scale of the model is 1/81, so it fits to other 1/72 kits. The cockpit was taken by a Heller P51 kit, besides this the model was build without any additional parts.
Painted with Revell Aqua-Color, it uses the original decals plus a few additional ones from the spare part box.
Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

kerick

That's great work. A real silk purse from a sow's ear.
I really mean it, no "snarky" comments!   ;) :thumbsup:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Tophe

:wub: Wonderful result! With a pretty good use of a P-51D canopy!
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

FAR148

MiB

Quote from: nönöbär on March 26, 2016, 07:40:56 AM
Lt.Col S.Cratch (...) The F-62 Fighersnark, the A-62 Gigasnark Attack aircraft and the RF-62 Megasnark Recon aircraft.  (...) This kind of operation was then called a "Snarknado".
A genius!!!! :cheers: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
My virtual repaint site: http://hangarofmib.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------
-"Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise around in a Ford POS?"

-"Nothing is as it seems, guy!"

PR19_Kit

I like that a lot.  :thumbsup: :bow:

That's three SnarkWhiffs we've had here recently, almost enough for a GB.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Nice one. :bow:

With yellow instead of white trim this could also be the "Holy Guacamole" Batwing, sort of?

The Rat

Manned versions of winged missiles are 1) Obvious, 2) Underdone, 3) Usually good lookers. Yours is beautiful!  :bow:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Dork the kit slayer

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ive got the big Lindberg "Snark" and havent a clue what to do with it. :banghead:
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Cobra

This is Super Cool :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: It Almost has a "Gerry Anderson " Feel to it. Any plans to Try Something Similar in a Gerry Anderson Vein? Keep Up the Superb Work :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

nönöbär

Thanks a lot !!!!  :cheers:

Of course the real brain behind this project is my engineer who worked very hard on it. I just had to build what he had planned.

So here is him with the final result:

Btw, as his name is "Scratch Bear" I wonder if he is somehow related to Lt.Col. S. Cratch.....  ;D
Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

NARSES2

That has really come out well  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Very good looking aeroplane
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Steel Penguin

:thumbsup:   looks great, and a wonderful idea as well
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Captain Canada

Wow. That looks great ! Love the scheme you've come up with. Very realistic and unique. That's defo an idea for the pair I have in the stash.

:tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?