Luftwaffe Saab Draken, Jagdgeschwader 71 "Richthofen", April 1971

Started by nönöbär, April 24, 2016, 02:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nönöbär

Luftwaffe Saab Draken, Jagdgeschwader 71 "Richthofen", April 1971

The Plane:

Because of the Starfighter-Crisis in the late 1960s, the German Luftwaffe was looking for an alternative fighter /fighterbomber aircraft. It was decided not to focus on a single model but to used different types, despite the more complicated logistics.
One of the selected types was the Saab Draken, although it was not build by a NATO member. A total of 76 Saab Draken fighters were bought and delivered between 1967 and 1969.

The Draken had a much better safety record than the Starfighter. Only 5 of them were lost because of accidents until the plane was put out of service in the early 1990s. Some of the planes were sold to Austria, but about 20 of them were sold to private companies where they were used as "enemy planes" for Luftwaffe combat training.

The model shows a Saab Draken of  Jagdgeschwader 71 "Richthofen" in April 1971

Collection of What-If Luftwaffe aircraft:

The Model:

This is an old Airfix 1/72 scale kit which was quite nice to build. Build OOB it was painted with a Norm70 Luftwaffe camo with Revel Aqua Color. Decals (of a F-104) were used form the spare part box.
Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Nice! Looks disturbingly good in the Zitronenfalter livery - wonder how a Norm '83 Draken would look like...?

eatthis

custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

Lovely!  One I've had an attempt at myself but never finished, glad to see one done :thumbsup:

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 24, 2016, 04:29:54 AM
Nice! Looks disturbingly good in the Zitronenfalter livery - wonder how a Norm '83 Draken would look like...?

Might be able to tell you one day...  I started a Luftwaffe Draken about five years or so ago.  I did it in the same livery as nonobar's but dropped it and smashed the nose and intake off. :-\  I've contemplated either refurbishing the paint scheme, or re-doing it in allover silver but now you've got me thinking about Norm '83.....
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Snowtrooper

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

chrisonord

I'm liking that, looks the part in those colours, and I am sure the Luftwaffe would have preffered Drakens to Starfighters too.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Army of One

BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Captain Canada

Oh man, I just love the look of that in those colours and markings ! Perfect. I'm saving that idea for future use  :bow:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?