Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

Quote from: DogfighterZen on November 24, 2016, 02:15:35 PM
Yes... Vlad is ready for it's flight! :wacko: :thumbsup:

:laugh: :laugh:

It was such a light, breezy, fun build...  zero attention paid to anything historic or even trying to make it "plausible."  I just went for it and what a pleasant change of pace from doing all the research and making sure things "make sense" even as whif-world goes. Not only that, the kit itself is pretty fun to build.  Didn't use a drop of putty on the entire shootin' match!  :wub:

Thanks for stoppin' by!! 
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Time for something different and a bit new.  How's about BOX REHAB?  I've been over at the Airfix Collecting MB's and looking at tips, etc for fixing damaged boxes and I think with guidance and a bit of effort I could fix up my old Hawk U-2A box.

Here's my poor box:

The bottom half, also pretty messed up.

It's comforting to know there's hope for my box!  I'm currently building the kit for the OKGB and would like to be able to use the box as part of the display.   :)   Not only that, but I think it's probably a cool thing to learn to help fix up my kit stash boxes so they stack right, look better, hold contents better, etc. while they sit in stash-mode. Nothing worse than flat, mashed, creased, torn, "leaking" flimsey boxes making the stash look like trash and hemorrhaging the fiddly bits if one were not being mindful. I always make sure to put stuff in new zip loc type bags, but, still... I'd rather have the whole package more secure. 

Anyone else got an old ratty box they want to fix? Maybe we can do this sort of "together" and compare notes as we go.  Not sure when exactly I'll get under way with this but probably within the next week.  No need to stick with my schedule if you want to do your own, though, I'm just blabbing here .   
-Sprues McDuck-

Captain Canada

That will be interesting. Is there a link to that discussion ?
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Captain Canada on November 24, 2016, 07:12:01 PM
That will be interesting. Is there a link to that discussion ?
Yes Sir!

Firstly, there's the whole forum (Old kit and box restoration): http://www.modelkitcollecting.com/forum103.html

The threads in particular:

"Ironing buckled and creased boxes " : http://www.modelkitcollecting.com/topic1909.html
This is the one I've posted in.

"Ironing dished or creased old boxes " : http://www.modelkitcollecting.com/topic1978.html

" Replacing missing artwork. ": http://www.modelkitcollecting.com/topic3790.html
I have not looked in here yet but plan to very soon.

Our buddy loupgarou here turned me on to the place and I hope he doesn't mind me posting this stuff (I don't imagine he would, but, if I'm in error, I apologize).  It's the Airfix Collecting board. A pretty neat place and I've seen people from here there and vice versa.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Some testing and proof of concept type stuff going on here.  I started work on the bottom half of the box.

Before:

After:

Quite the improvement. I'm not done yet but I'm thinking with how ratty it all is I CAN'T go wrong. All I've done so far us use a spray bottle to mist the inside of the box then let it soak in for ~5 min. Then, I simply took a clothes iron to it on a nice, flat, sturdy surface. 

More to come soon... in peeling old tape and stupid stuff off the top I managed to take some of the art off (couldn't avoid it... leaving the tape and stuff would look worse by far).  One piece of tape was clear and covered important art work so I left that. The other stuff was all opaque and had to go.

In other news, I've been working on both OKGB builds.  I had a tiny chip of paint come off my canopy so I fixed that but in removing the masking the whole canopy came off. It was only glued down with PVA. I'll just leave it off, now, until the end of the build.

For the other OKGB build, I've been painting and scratch building a radiator intake that I lost somehow. That's going quite well already and is looking like it's worth the effort. I was contemplating leaving it off entirely but I'm glad I didn't.

Thanks for stopping by.   :laugh:
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Logging this here as it's an idea I've had in my head for awhile now bout turning an F1 car into an airplane.

First, take all the "mess" off:

Then make a plane :lol:  :

-Sprues McDuck-

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TheChronicOne

Thanks, friend!  Me, too... if I get around to this type of thing myself it will mean a leap in kit bashing. I've been scratch building and modifying things but nothing approaching this level.

I've actually had my eye on an F1 car kit on ebay for some time now but the shape isn't quite like this picture (I'd rather one like this picture!! ) but it's pretty nice though ..  all the others that would work better are much more expensive so I have no clue how soon it will be when I can get my hands on a suitable kit.

Thanks for stopping by, bud!
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Now those things are an interesting aerodynamic balancing act!

Just enough down-force to hold the boat on the water but not so much that the hull is forced down into the water, as minimal hull/water contact is the aim to minimise drag.

A whole bunch of fluid dynamics goes into the designing of those hydroplane racers.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

Man I forgot all about those insane racing boats! That would be a really cool kit bash project for sure.
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on November 28, 2016, 05:51:53 AM
Now those things are an interesting aerodynamic balancing act!

Just enough down-force to hold the boat on the water but not so much that the hull is forced down into the water, as minimal hull/water contact is the aim to minimise drag.

A whole bunch of fluid dynamics goes into the designing of those hydroplane racers.

There's got to be some WIG (Wing In Ground effect) stuff going on as well with that flat area between the hulls.
Hmmmm, ekranoplan racing, now there's an idea...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Not a lot to talk about. Being doing a bit of work on my Vatican Air Force (Defense Force) airplane for the group build... now, In the midst of fall cleaning, I'm committing a bit of time to getting the modeling stuff organized and cleaned up.

So, anyway, here's another funny.   :laugh:

-Sprues McDuck-