MiG 37U. NATO reporting name Migraine. Completed pics page 5.

Started by zenrat, January 13, 2017, 01:29:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

ericr

zenrat

Thanks E.

I put on all the stencil decals today.  Took about 5 hours.
zoinks!
They are tiny and in Cyrillic but you can just about read them.  I reckon they just reduced the 1/48 decal sheet and if the first version had been in the one true scale the stencils wouldn't all be there.
Still, they add a level of busy-ness.  I just hope they don't silver when I hit them with more clear.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat

Not much to do now.
Legs and wheels are on.
Canopy is on and needs slight blending when dry.  Who would have thought an A Model Canopy wouldn't be a good fit?
Its everso soft clear styrene. I scratched it while sanding it to fit and polished the scratches out in no time at all.  In doing so I also lost some of the moulded on framing but seeing as that was so faint as to be almost non existent that wasn't really a loss.
Fred

zenrat

Fred

zenrat

MiG 37U (NATO reporting name Migraine)
The appearance of the MiG 37U at the 1987 Paris International Airshow took Western aviation commentators by surprise.  Rumours of its existence had filtered out from behind the Iron curtain but had been denied as propaganda by the so-called experts.
MiG 37U Migraine 4 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Based on the MiG 37 the MiG 37U was simply a two seat cockpit fitted to the single seat airframe.  This nose design was not optimized for stealth because that aircraft was intended for training and type conversion rather than as an operational military aircraft.  They did however retain the single seater's twin internal weapons bays (containing at the '87 Paris show, what were assumed to be dummy tactical nuclear weapons).
MiG 37U Migraine 2 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
In addition to its stealthy design it is believed to use a unique paint system consisting of a radar absorbent primer beneath radar transparent colour and clear coats.  The relatively tough transparent coats allowing radiation to pass through without reflection before being absorbed by the much more fragile primer coat.  This system prevents the sort of damage (and resultant loss in stealth performance) often seen on western stealth aircraft..
MiG 37U Migraine 8 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
The Paris demonstrator was noticeable for having Active Radar Spectum Emitters mounted on the wing tips, tails and intake shroud.  It was thought that the purpose of these was to boost and rebroadcast incoming radar signals thus creating a large radar return in order to prevent any direct measurement of the stealthiness of the design.  Official Soviet sources claimed that this equipment was required for air safety reasons as without it the aircraft was invisible to air traffic control and to other aircraft and so constituted a hazard.
Soviet ARSEs appear to be tuneable as during demonstration flights the MiG 37 has exhibited a variety of radar cross sections equivalent in size to aircraft ranging from a MiG25 to a Tu225.
MiG 37U Migraine 3 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
The model.
Italeri 1/72 MiG 37 E Ferret.
A Model Yak 38 U nose.
Wing tips squared off.
Kit decals.

MiG 37U Migraine 13 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

PR19_Kit

That looks a MEAN beast there Fred. Love the paint scheme, it works VERY well.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Rick Lowe

zenrat

Fred

strobez

Every time I see the pics of a newly completed build in this group build, I say to myself... "Well, Xth place wouldn't be bad..."

The only problem is that X keeps getting bigger every time.  With a field this deep, I think I'm going to have to be satisfied with a blue ribbon for participation.

Assuming I finish my Yak-38 on time.  :o
Thanks!

Greg

Ed S

We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.