Martin Monterey MR1

Started by PR19_Kit, June 14, 2017, 08:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Those things look like little pills. Maybe some Tylenol capsules?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

They do indeed, but they're a little fat for pills, being 8 mm dia. I've got them all built now, I just need the stamina to repeat what I did on the left side for the other side.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Tylenol suppositories then...

What is The Mushroom Trophy?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

It's the competition class for Whiffed models at the Telford Show each year. It used to be a special trophy, but these days it's been merged into the standard IPMS Class system as Class 33. It was started by Roger Wallsgrove who's the editor of Mushroom Monthly magazine, and he supplied the trophies personally in the old days.

I'm big headed enough to say I have two of the original Mushroom Monthly Trophies. Needless to say one of them was for the first PR19.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Class 33 eh?  Sounds like the one they call "Imagineering" at the Australian Model Expo.
I have entered that but now prefer to sneak whiffs into the "normal" classes.

Congrats on your wins.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Could always enter it in the "miscellaneous" class ?

Quote from: Steel Penguin on July 27, 2017, 02:08:12 PM
wonder woman's invisible  flying boat?

I was going to suggest super stealth boat  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

After getting thoroughly fed up with PSRing the 'Snoopy Too' Atlas (I'd done maybe 4-5 sessions on the SAME fuselage joints!) I thought it was time to get back on the Monterey's beaching trolley. Before I started on the starboard side's air bags I decided to add the hydraulic hoses to the visible jacks and the brake lines to the wheels. From the photos I could see where most of them went, and as I have a certain amount of knowledge in that field (like 50 years worth  ;D) I could guess where the rest went. After adding the pressure and return lines I found myself thinking 'Ah yes, the drain lines would run from there to here.......'.

At which point it occurred to me that drain lines on a system like that would around 7/16" dia, which is 0.15 mm in 1/72 scale.

So then I thought I'd forget the drain lines!  ;D

Here's the trolley with most of the hydraulic pipes and hoses added. Maybe more airbags tomorrow.

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

A touch of AMS sneaking in there, Kit. Gotta be careful of that, 'coz that way lies JMN madness! ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kitnut617

I hope you're making a set of plans to go along with that Kit  ------   ;D   I might be giving you a call sometime in the future  :wacko:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on August 02, 2017, 02:36:47 AM

I hope you're making a set of plans to go along with that Kit  ------   ;D   I might be giving you a call sometime in the future  :wacko:

I could do. If I take pics of it at 90 deg I could generate some at a later date.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I'm up to my neck in small turquoise beads, small pieces of sheet styrene and tiny lengths of styrene rod and tube just now.  :banghead:

It's a waste of time posting pics just yet, so I'm going to wait until the whole trolley is finished and then I'll post some. It'll be almost a pity to paint it after that!

Regards
Kit

kerick

Its quite colorful right now......
Don't forget to file down one side of the airbags so they look like there is weight or pressure on them......    :wacko:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kerick on August 06, 2017, 08:41:50 AM

Its quite colorful right now......
Don't forget to file down one side of the airbags so they look like there is weight or pressure on them......    :wacko:

I have to file them down anyway or the aircraft won't fit in the trolley.

I've done the port side ones already, and I'll be doing the starboard ones when they're all glued in place. It's a REAL pain of a job though, filing them while trying NOT to break the airbags off their mounts. Having said that, when the aircraft's in place it's pretty darn difficult to see them as the wing's in the way, as Chris (Narses2) has already mentioned.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Well, apart from paint, the trolley is DONE!  :thumbsup:

I've spent much of this afternoon and evening cutting stupidly short lengths of styrene rod and thin brass wire to fit in the most inaccessible spots and then superglueing them in place to ensure they don't move.

After some precision filing (I bought a new one earlier today) it fits under the aircraft so well that the friction holds it up in place!  :o (see the last pic)

View from the front. The control tower thingie on the left front end is for the crewman to lift the floats before they taxi ashore.

View from the rear

Front detail

Rear detail

Look, no hands.  ;D

Now I can get back to building the aircraft.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....