M8 (G136) and M20 (G176) Greyhound Armored Car

Started by dy031101, October 26, 2008, 05:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: ranger6 on November 03, 2008, 09:35:32 AM
So much for historical work. Now if we want to talk what ifs, the sky's the limit. A selection of possible upgrades follows: (a) An M-8 with a closed turret mounting either theAmerican 37MM or the British 2 pounder (40MM ) gun. American Mech Cavalrymen requested a closed turret, but never got one.

Just a thought - how about a splinter shield on struts raised above the turret rim in the manner of some of the US tank destroyers? That would give overhead cover but still have greater FOV and situational awareness than a closed-up tank turret, and wouldn't need a fancy and expensive collection of hatches, periscopes etc....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

dy031101

Quote from: Weaver on July 13, 2009, 08:35:11 PM
You could fairly easily produce a whiff version of this vehicle: the Israelis replaced the quad .50s on their turrets with twin 20mm Hispano (or were they US Mk.12s?)  aircraft cannon, complete with a length of steel tube to support the barrel, and they also supply South/Central America quite a lot. You could do this in 1/72nd with a pair of aftermarket Hispanos, and maybe a pair of Stingers for good measure.... :wub:

Can I put the turret taken from the M163?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

ysi_maniac

^^^^^
I would say yes. In fact, Vulcan gatling gun was installed in a Cadillac Comando.
Will die without understanding this world.

dy031101

Either that or the Taiwanese T82, which is a twin mounting for their updated version of Pontiac M39 cannons.

But you know, the Vulcan cannon is attractive even just by the sound of it if ammo storage can be worked out...... and then take it further by adding Stinger missiles like the Israeli Machbet......  ;D

Hope it won't be too heavy.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

jcf

T69 multiple gun motor carriage AA variant.
After testing the Antiaircraft Artillery Board found the T69 inferior to the existing M16 and M17
vehicles in weight carrying capacity, space limitations, mobility and fire dispersion. Project canceled
March 1944.

The M8 was the production standardized Ford T22E2, a modified T22, they also built the four-wheel T22E1.
Studebaker and Fargo (Dodge) also built prototypes designated T21(originally T43) and T23/T23E1
(six-wheel/four-wheel) respectively.

The vehicle project itself originated in July 1941as a light self-propelled gun carriage carrying the 37mm AT gun
for Tank Destroyer Command and the basic design was to be adaptable to a multiple .50 mount, a dual 20mm
mount, or an 81mm mortar and to be adaptable as a cargo carrier. Vehicle designation was changed to light armored
car on 12 March 1942.

Jon

ysi_maniac

Upgunned Greyhound with 75mm or, more plausible, 57mm

ysi_maniac

NARSES2

I can see that in British or Commonwealth markings for some reason ? Nice  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ysi_maniac

SleeperService

Rather than duplicate a thread I've just found this idea (apologies if it's old news).

Seems like a pretty good idea to me.

ysi_maniac

ysi_maniac

ysi_maniac

What can I do with a Willys Jeep at 1/35 and a M20 at 1/56?

Top row originals, bottom row my creations.

Rick Lowe

'Waay back in the dark ages of t'web, someone had chopped an M8 down into a 4-wheeler and stuck the commander's sub-turret from an M-48 onto it, I think mounting a co-ax energy weapon alongside the .50.
There was another smaller remote turret over one of the Driver's hatch positions - very much like a mini-Aliens APC, because it was supposed to be from that universe!
They called it a FAR-V, which IIRC stood for Fast Attack Recon Vehicle.

He'd also changed the wheels for smaller Humvee units, put side doors in place of the old storage lockers, and added a slew of detail bits from elsewhere.

Very cool, but it's long gone, unfortunately. Or at least my giggle-fu has come up empty.

ysi_maniac

Different variants depending on which vehicle derive from. Top from M20 and bottom from M8.