M18 Hellcat GMC and M39 AUV Family of Vehicles

Started by General Zod, October 17, 2010, 05:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General Zod

A few days back,Jeffry Fontaine and I were on MSN IM. He gave me the idea of an M18 Hellcat TD armed with a 105mm howitzer. The US Army did come up with that version called the T88. Only one was built.
Yeah,I know the load is late.But the voices keep telling me to pull over and clean the guns.
Death before decaf
Chad

dy031101

Quote from: General Zod on October 17, 2010, 05:33:50 PM
The US Army did come up with that version called the T88. Only one was built.

Guess I haven't asked why it was unsuccessful...... recoil problem?  Or something else?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

General Zod

Quote from: dy031101 on October 17, 2010, 05:39:59 PM
Quote from: General Zod on October 17, 2010, 05:33:50 PM
The US Army did come up with that version called the T88. Only one was built.

Guess I haven't asked why it was unsuccessful...... recoil problem?  Or something else?
The war ended.The M36 90mm TD turret was mounted onto the M18.When the muzzle brake was mounted,the M18 could handle the recoil.
Yeah,I know the load is late.But the voices keep telling me to pull over and clean the guns.
Death before decaf
Chad

dy031101

Since the turret rings of both M18 and M4 are of the same size, I wonder if the Hellcat can handle the Firefly turret (with 76mm M1 gun for use by the US Army or Allies that take American weapons; Firefly turret because of its modification for accommodate weapons with greater recoil distance, and I am under the impression that the T23 turret is heavier)......
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Jacques Deguerre

I think the biggest "real world" issue with some of these conversion ideas is weight. The 75 mm gun turret from the Sherman could fit but it might make the M18 awfully top heavy. It could possibly create other engine, drive train and suspension problems, depending on how much flexibility the real components had.

HOWEVER, I would never suggest that you avoid model conversions because of trifling real world engineering concerns. Perhaps your model could represent a vehicle based on the design of the Hellcat but with heavier armor and more robust mechanical components that would place it in the medium tank range. Fake it out a bit with tracks, road wheels, drive sprockets and such from a later, heavier US tank (anything that'll fit from the M26 to the M48), a heavier turret of your choice and possibly a bow machine gun to justify the fifth crew member.
Some clever and amusing quote goes here.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Joe C-P

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

ysi_maniac

What if some cooperation after WWII: 2 reccon possibilities.

IMHO: first one is quite plausible. 8)

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

A Hellcat recce vehicle with a Greyhound turret would be plausible. Better off-road that the Greyhound and about as much space. Since you'd have to put a plate over the original turret ring to reduce it to Greyhound size anyway, you might as well use the M39 style hull with it's raised roof. That way the "M39-.50cal" and the "M39-37mm" would mirror the M20 Utility Car and M8 Greyhound respectively.

What a pity, and what a strange omission, that there's no 1/72nd or 1/76th model of the Hellcat... :unsure:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on December 16, 2017, 05:45:14 AM

What a pity, and what a strange omission, that there's no 1/72nd or 1/76th model of the Hellcat... :unsure:

Which Japanese ? company did the small diorama sets - Nitto ? Didn't they ? Swear I saw one back in the days ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 17, 2017, 01:18:32 AM
Quote from: Weaver on December 16, 2017, 05:45:14 AM

Which Japanese ? company did the small diorama sets - Nitto ? Didn't they ? Swear I saw one back in the days ?

Not that I am aware of, Chris.   There are resin 1/72 or 1/76 M18s but no injection moulded ones that I am aware of.  I once scratch built one, way back in the 1980s, so it isn't hard to do it.  I used Airfix Leopard 1 roadwheels with a plasticard hull and turret.  :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

jcf

Chris, you may be thinking of Nitto's M36 kit.

ysi_maniac

I assume this is made of poliestyrene, but already built:  https://hlj.com/product/HBM38863

Wargame config, odd scale (1/56), but a nice model anyway:  http://www.italeri.com/scheda.asp?idProdotto=2585

NARSES2