Fairey ER-103C or...

Started by Archibald, April 20, 2006, 07:44:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archibald

In 1958 after the Sandystorm the RAFunderstood that it still need an all weather fighter to replace the Javelin (Thin wing Javelin, Arrow, SR-177 and Delta III had been successively cancelled). As the Javelin was now deseperately obsolete, the new all weather fighter was to enter service as soon as possible. Various competitors entered the race. they were
- English electric with the P.8
- Fairey with the ER-103C (fighter derivative of the Delta II)
- Bristol with a fighter T-188 (which had not flew at the time)
- Gloster with its resurected TW Javelin (the P.356 prototype still stand in the plant, unfinished)
- Saro with the SR-177 (SR-53 was the demonstrator)
- Hawker with the P.1121
De Havilland Supermarine and Blackburn proposed supersonic Scimitar (type 576) DH-110 (with one RB-142) and Buccaneer (P.109)
The Fairey was finally elected in november 1959 and soon entered service. It become a competitor of Mirage III and F-104 in foreign markets...

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Archibald

French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

cthulhu77

Nice little air superiority arm you have there ! :cheers:

Archibald

As you can see, there's a Hawker P.1121, SR-177, Lightning and Delta IV. I just love british fighter projects! So much interesting models to make...  future projects inlude
- Hawker P.1091 (If I can find another Hunter kit in 1/72 scale)
- Supermarine type 545 (I just love it!)
- Thin Wing Javelin
- Fairey Delta III
- Blackburn P.141 (little known project, but could have been the British Pahntom or Mirage F1)
Waiting for that, other photos of the Delta IV

anthonyp

I built one of those last year, but had weapons mounted to the lower fuselage.

Good job!  What kit is it?

:cheers:  :cheers:  
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Brian da Basher

Holy cow Archie that's one mean looking air fleet you have going there! Very menacing!

Brian da Basher

Archibald

The kit is from Archie-scratchmodels a little known brand :P
anthonyP do you have picture of your model ? I really think that Great Britian could have made a all-weather fighter starting from the Delta II... such a plane could have backed the Lightning and sold in exports markets against the Mirage III and F-104.
Others photos...  

Archibald

anthonyp

That's scratched?!  Dang, nice job!!

Yep, here it be!

Dart F.1

:cheers:  :cheers:
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Archibald

Thank you for the pics! Your model is better than mine, because you used a crap as basis :P