Saro SR-53B Stinger

Started by MartG, April 22, 2006, 02:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartG

Part of my scenario ( Full back story here http://www.whatifmodelers.com/forum//index...topic=9110&st=0 ) is the UK Government panic ordering aircraft to protect the capital from high speed high altitude incursions

......... a call was made for the immediate strengthening of air defences around 'the seat of government' against high level/high speed threats which posed severe interception problems for the existing Javelin and Meteor night fighters – cynics saw this as the politicians who had rendered the country open to attack wanting themselves to be protected first. To meet this need an 'experimental' squadron of 12 modified Saunders Roe SR-53 mixed propulsion fighters was rushed into service, based at Stanstead. These aircraft were virtually hand built in the interests of getting into service in under 6 months, the only variations from the original research airframe being a rearward retracting nosewheel allowing space for a primitive AI radar installation in the nose, slightly increased fuselage tankage for the Spectre rocket fuel at the expense of jet fuel tankage, provision for drop tanks to increase range when under jet propulsion, and provision for overwing Firestreak launchers in addition to the existing wingtip installation ( though rarely flown with the overwing launchers fitted ). Given the hazardous nature of this planes propulsion systems, it is a credit to the squadron that only two were lost during their 2 years in service, both accidents occurring on the ground during fuelling. The arrival of the Lightning in service allowed these stop-gap fighters to be withdrawn.

I'll probably get chased by the JMNs now, for whiffing such a rare kit ( and when I do the other one I have too..... :ph34r: )
Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

The Rat

QuoteI'll probably get chased by the JMNs now, for whiffing such a rare kit ( and when I do the other one I have too..... :ph34r: )
Kind of makes it all worthwhile doesn't it?  :P

Nice job Mart! I built that one at least thirty years ago, and one of these days I might just 'refurbish' it.  B)  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

NARSES2

I like that Mart - I do wish Airfix would bring it out again, I was only talking to Thorvic about it yesterday.

Ratty I to built that when it first came out - bought with pocket money from Woolworths saturday morning and by teatime she was defending the skys of Crystal Palace  :)

Chris

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Geoff_B

gooberliberation

B) Now that's a very professional and purposeful looking fighter you got there. RAF in every way  
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

lancer

That is one seriously gorgeous looking machine Mart. Bloody nice job.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Ollie

Wicked little thing!

I really like the second picture...

:wub:  :wub:  

anthonyp

Very cool!  I always get a kick out of seeing Firestreaks and Red Tops on wingtip rails.

:cheers:  :cheers:  
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Hobbes

Zen

Jolly good, and a appropriate name too!
To win without fighting, that is the mastry of war.

Joe C-P

Veddy veddy nice.

T'heck with the JMNs, it's your model!

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Brian da Basher

I like it a lot Mart! There's something about your unique build and that British camo and markings that really makes me like this one. What kit did you use to build it?

Brian da Basher

seavixen

That is the Airfix SR-53 unless my eyes deceive me! I have several of those safely tucked away in my loft.  
Stackridge: Rhubarb Thrashers of the World Unite

Captain Canada

Cool...very nice, MartG !

Those RAF roundels on that camo always gets my motor going. I do believe that is the first time I've ever seen that kit built...... :cheers:

Would've been awful nice to see your idea come true, eh ?
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

BlackOps

Very cool aircraft with a great backstory :)

Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.