Mirage III, Mirage V, Nesher, Dagger, and Kfir

Started by Daryl J., April 22, 2006, 11:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

To reach Very High Performances, the Mirage layout had to be changed, into twin-boom:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

Two weeks ago, I wrote a what-if History of "Who broke the sound barrier?", my 2 personal theories being a Mirage or an asymmetric Mirage. It is in French, sorry, at http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/murSon.htm

Tophe

In the Dassault design bureau, there was a big jealousy: "Why the British engineers found before us how to have a twin-jet without asymmetry on a single engine" (if one fails or is shut down in cruise to increase range). So Mirages were modified to be (almost) as good (without paying Copyright): :angry: :-\ :unsure:

martinbayer

Tophe,

there was actually a real project to install an afterburning Viper turbojet in its own pod on top of the Mirage III rear fuselage for Australia, see https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/unbuilt-prototype-mirages-1955-1980.837/page-6#post-177848.

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

Tophe

Tophe

Seeing the (technical) success of the B-58 Hustler, Dassault Industries argued: "this is an illegal copy of our own Mirage 558: of course we thought of such a multi-engine Mirage, not falling down from the sky if the jet fails!"

Tophe

Tophe

The Dassault engineers, seeing the North American YF-107 Ultra-Sabre, were much impressed. Then they "invented" the Ultra-Mirage, and North American required a big Copyright. That is the reason why it was not mass produced.

Tophe

During the Sales of the Century, circa 1975, Dassault commercials laughed of the YF-16 canopy: "without proper windscreen, it will explode at the first bird hurting it!", but the F-16 won the contract and flew safely. So canopies of Dassault Mirages were a little updated, ahem...

Tophe

Dassault designers judged the dorsal tank on the Skyhawk was a good idea... ;D

(but not mass produced as the Copyright price was excessive) :-\

Tophe

In the years 1968-1973, I was just a llittle kid, and I heard words I did not understand: "about France and USSR, let's make love not war", and that direction, mixed with Mirages 5, Yakovlev 28, Ilyushin 28, gave babies: <_<

Tophe

A big nose may be useful for a huge radar like on the Mirage 2000, but it is so ugly... (on a slim Mirage 5) :-\ ;)

Tophe

PR19_Kit

The Mirage SIG stand at Telford had a central display of various Mirage prototypes, and the differences between them and the production versions is quite astonishing.

I'll try and take a pic of the display tomorrow.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 09, 2019, 01:40:27 PM
The Mirage SIG stand at Telford had a central display of various Mirage prototypes, and the differences between them and the production versions is quite astonishing.
I'll try and take a pic of the display tomorrow.
Haven't you found something interesting? or is this posted elsewhere?

Quote from: Tophe on November 08, 2019, 11:03:59 PM
And from a cartoon book (I presented the source at https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=34696.225 ):
I just got volume 2 with different silhouettes, interesting also: