Sneaking Kits Into The House

Started by SimonR, April 27, 2006, 03:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

I admit that, for a long time, I had a false "wall" of prior purchased model kits at the front of one of our bigger hall closets.  She knew about the old kits, bought in the old days when I still had a full head of hair.

Behind them was a convenient, hidden space to fill up with the new stuff, snuck in whenever convenient.

The hilarious thing was Evil Bay in the days before PayPutz ™ when I had to scramble to get Money Orders from the bank and compile purchases before she'd get home from work.

I'm usually home before her so getting the parcels was never much of a problem.

But, eventually, we consolidated bank accounts and there was no hiding it anymore.

:P  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

SimonR

I've got to say I am amazed and inspired by the variety of ingenious techniques recorded here. I particularly like JHM's 'false wall'.  :D  
Simon

This is the curse of speed;  I have been a slave to it all my life. On my gravestone they will carve 'It never got fast enough for me'.
Hunter S. Thompson

Alvis 3.1

Comment heard at work in the Hobby Shop, as said by a girlfriend to her bf: "You know, I just don't understand this thing about hobbies. They are SO expensive..."

I had an incredibly hard time not loudly saying "Yeah, cuz having a girlfriend is a cheap activity!"

I really didn't need to get fired...lol!

Alvis 3.1

cthulhu77

Oh, the pain !  Love that mental image of being pinned in the light...funny as hell.  I lucked out with a wife who just shakes her head, as long as I don't bitch about a new pair of shoes, or some new jog bra (60 bucks, can you believe it?).
 Of course, she also thinks that most of the kits I get are free, to do previews for distributors.  Little does she know, last year I only got three freebies, the rest were all paid for, but in cash, so it doesn't show up on the cc bill.
  Sneak, sneak...

greg

Dork the kit slayer

Im lucky....no problems with the maam sahib and models ...( although there was that incident with the redhead and the two hamsters)
Infact Im actively encouraged to buy whatever I want. ie My new Iwata and compressor. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Yep.....just Lucky :cheers:  
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

Gary

Ya know, I tried the line about going out drinking and watching strippers and was promptly told that had I chose that as a hobby I'd simply be castraited. She didn't marry a fellow who got off on watching naked women air out their man holes and suck suds.

I have to say she was right because it was a few years into the marriage that I got back into modeling so she really didn't know what she was getting into.  
Getting back into modeling

datguy

QuoteC.  Even when I did have a Mrs., she helped me run the decal biz, so new kits were seen as potential creative fodder for income producing :)

Glad those days are over!

:)

J
I suppose I'll be glad for you, too, Jennings.   ;)  But they were VERY good decals.    :)

I'm only glad that LU didn't go into the BA World Colours thing.  You coulda bankrupted me...  

At least I got my Mohawk BAC-111 and AA Lightning scheme 707 before the end.  I had to find my UK Northeast Trident and my Continental Golden Jet 707 through the good graces of others.

Fortunately, my beloved is very accepting of my stash.  And I, in turn, am very accepting of her desire to own every piece of china and crystal in the world.  :D

DG

(My apologies to all for the nostalgia-trip hi-jacking.  My memories of those days are undoubtedly warmer than JH's)

The Rat

It's easy for me. She knows that I have a fair sized stash at my folk's place from before we were married, so I just say that I pulled one from there.

Sometimes it's even true...  :ph34r:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

SinUnNombre

Its easy for me. I don't have a signifigant other. So I just walk in with them. No problems.

Jon

NARSES2

On getting "the not another kit" stare, open wardrobe, point to significant other half's shoe/handbag collection and leg it ! :rolleyes:

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

B777LR

Ive smuggled kits 4 times. First i saw that the paint shop in my local town had a Tamiya 1/35 King Tiger on sale. So the next day after school, when parents where at work i went up and bought it (and never regreted it). Second time was the same place, but this time was 4 kits (3 airfix 1/24 motorbykes and 1 airfix 1/48 Ford Focus), and smuggled the same way. Ive then bought the Italeri Mig 37B in the lunch break at school this winter, and later also the italeri 1/72 spitfire Mk 9.  

The Rat

QuoteOn getting "the not another kit" stare, open wardrobe, point to significant other half's shoe/handbag collection and leg it ! :rolleyes:

Chris
I thought I lived dangerously by jumping out of airplanes and photographing alligators. You make me look like a milquetoast!  :lol:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Jeffry Fontaine

Time for a thread revival.  This one is interesting enough and it might help some of our more recent members in the acquisition of new kits and sneaking them past their significant others... :)
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Radish

If going to a model show:

Remember to make out some Raffle Winner stickers :thumbsup:

If taking models in boxes to display, always take an empty box to put your purchases in :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

When buying brass, resin, decals, etc., hide then in a box, like a small purchase? She won't mind you spending £4 on a HobbyBoss Zero if you've hidden the £40 worth of extras.

Arrange for postal deliveries to your workplace or ensure she's OUT when the Postie arrives.

Hide 2 kits in one box...they usually fit.

Over write the REAL price with an "under the table" price....she won't mind if you've got a bargain. :thumbsup:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Weaver

Live with my mother in a fairly big house, so I don't have a problem as long as visitors can't see anything "not nice" (the phrase used to condemn anything to the outer circle of Hell).

The problem will come, as it did when I was a kid, when I want to display any of them, since as every housewife knows, anything ornamental on a shelf must be DUSTED once a week..... :blink: :angry:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones