Gloster Thin Wing Javelin...

Started by Archibald, May 02, 2006, 07:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Mart,

Those 'Velvet Glove' (love the name) look almost Russian - any information on them?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

MartG

Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

Archibald

I was thinking : a CF-105 with long-range AIM-47 Falcon (AN/ASG-18 radar) and ARH Sparrow II (medium range missiles) would have been the most lethal fighter in the world (roughly the equivalent of a Tomcat with Phoenix and AMRAAM... in 1963!!)
Apparently just before the cancellation of the program Avro obtain, from the americans  the AN/ASG-18 radar (and as a consequence, the AIM-47 Falcon AAM). Anyone knows more about this deal? Apparently this is not a myth (I red this in a good magazine)  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

elmayerle

More likely the AIM-47.  The Sparrow II was an attempt that was ahead of technology.  Some 20 years later, AMRAAM was the same size airframe and a decided challenge to do.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Archibald

We can say that the Sparrow was too little for an ARH, and the Red Dean which had ARH too, could have worked, but with a very prohibitive mass and drag  penalty for the plane carrying it (I scratchbuild and fixed two red hebe on the wingtip of a EE P.8... the result is awful! The missiles are really enormous comparing to the plane itself...)  
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Archibald

The Red Dean was so big and draggy that a subsonic... Canberra was a better user than a supersonic plane like the Delta III  :wacko:
So EE proposed an interim interceptor Canberra with Red Deans on the wingtips... (Canberra mk12).does someone has photos of the Canberra Red-den testbed?  

Archibald

I know that I'm a great fan of this book.. what I search is phots orf the testbed, to see what a Canberra looked like.
Is there a good/recent Canberra kit in 1/72 scale?  

Archibald

Last question : the Red Dean was very big and draggy. Just want to know if it worked on the Canberra testbed, or if it was a real failure...

Thought about a Canadian/American/British program of a heavy interceptor.

AN/ASG-18 + AI-18 Radar, Red Dean and AIM-47 missiles. A kind of CF-105 with podded engines underwings, to have more room in the fuselage.
On this fuselage, a big weapon bay able to carry two Red Dean and two AIM-47.

such a plane would have had fire and forget  and long range missiles, at the beginning of the 60's!