A-6 Intruder...

Started by Archibald, May 07, 2006, 10:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archibald

In 1968 after the F-111K cancellation, the obvious choice would have been the Buccaneer. But the RAF so hatred this plane that the service prefered adapting the A-6 Intruder to its requirements -Ie very heavy modifications-.
Changes included
- T-tail, with a pointed antenna
- a big SLAR radar; it was fitted on the tail of the plane, between the engines. Antennas for it were above and below the rear fuselage.
- More powerful engines with longer exhausts protruding along the the rear fuselage
As it was to be a nuclear bomber, half of the canopy was "closed", particularly on the navigator side. In fact, only the frontal and lateral glass of the pilot were preserved! The refueling probe was moved in consequence, above the left air intake. To boost range even more, two big drop tanks were fitted on the wingtips.
The plane no longer looked like an A-6... It was name Vendetta GR.1.
first plane entered service on 617sq Dambuster, replacing the Vulcan...
I have no photos of the beast becuase no camera (until next week :( ).
But well I have lot of fun modifying my old unfinished Intruder...
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

retro_seventies

can't wait to see this one archie - actually i've got an RAF intruder that i've been tinkering with for a year or so, in fits and spurts.  it's a prowler, with the rear cockpits faired over, and a regular vertical stabiliser instead of the prowler one, Tornado GR4 chin turrets and jaguar overwing sidewinder mountings will finish it off.  Nothing too flashy or anything, but i think she'll look pretty decent when (if) i ever finish her.

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Archibald

In fact at the beginning I just wanted to paint my old intruder into Vulcan anti-flash camo (617sq, of course!) . But in a period of madness,I started to heavily modify the plane, and it no longer look likes and Intruder. :P
I painted parts of the canopy (in white), and it now looks  like a Sea Vixen or Vulcan one (Ie small windows for the observer). I added "boxes" and antennas everywhere, so the plane looks better.
I really regrets for the photos, but maybe i 'll do some with a mobile phone camera (low-quality, but I can't wait, to :) )  
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Archibald

Backstory, la suite...

When the RAF adapted the Intruder to its requirement, the DIANE weapon system was replaced by the TSR-2 radar. Most problematic was fitting the huge  SLAR radar into the plane. The only place was the rear fuselage... but at the end, the rear part of the plane was nearly a new one.

Fitting the SLAR antenna meant adding a big bulge below the tail. The electronic black boxes just fitted in the rear, but heated so much in this narrow space that a big cooling  air intake was added at the base of the fin.
Then new problem arose : the horizontal tail could no longer stay in its original place, as there was not enough room for their hydraulics actuators! The only way of sloving the problem was a T-tail...

With such modifications, it was a miracle that the undercarriage was not modified... but the TSR-2 weapon system on the nose just counterbalance the big weight now in the tail!!!  

Shasper

Watch weight and balance my friend....................

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Archibald

???!!!! I put some photos next week...stay tunned...  

Archibald

Here's some photos of the Vendetta Mk1, british nuclear bomber, A-6 Intruder derivative...

Archibald

Vendetta mk1, 617sq "Dambusters" (Vulcan replacement)  

Hobbes

Looks interesting, but could we please have some bigger photos?  

Archibald

Errr... thought about that, too.
I think I will give up the file attachment, and put the picture into my website...

Dork the kit slayer

That is one homely looking critter. Nothing wrong with it..just homely looking. :cheers:  
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

Archibald

My Webpage
Think my computer will fly out of the window : I can't reduce the size of the photos below 304 ko. Problem : file attachment is 75 ko, Populus (I use that for my webiste) 250 ko.  :dum:
I HATE COMPUTERS!!!  

seavixen

Try using a photo hosting service such as www.photobucket.com or www.imagevenue.com. That will give better results!
Stackridge: Rhubarb Thrashers of the World Unite

Archibald

Ok thank you very much! Must do it...

Damian2

B)

Nice...alhtough I've never been a fan of the anti-flash white I really like it on this plane!

Salut Archie!
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.