Western Flankers

Started by GTX, May 07, 2006, 11:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Hi folks,

During the mid to late 1990's there were a number of times that Sukhoi Su-27 (and derivatives) could have entered western service - probably in a westernized version:

Firstly (one I've mentioned here before) during the early days of the RAAF's look at options to replace its F/A-18s and F-111s under Project AIR6000, Sukhoi General designer Mikhail Simonov suggested that Sukhoi could offer a combination of Su-27, Su-30 and Su-32/Su-34 (the designations of these two kept changing a lot back then). To overcome any concerns with Russian systems, these were to be special Australianised/westernised versions with any choice of western engines, avionics and weapons fitted (the argument being that you couldn't fault the aerodynamics). Furthermore, the Australians were offered full licence production agreements to ensure a satisfactory level of supportability.

Second, around the same time, the Eurofighter 2000 (before it was called the Typhoon) was going through a lot of ups and downs.  There was talk of a single engined version as well as talk of countries pulling out altogether.  Into this environment Mikhail Simonov once again suggested that Sukhoi could offer a westernised Su-27 or even Su-35.  Once again this would probably have involved western engines, avionics and weapons being fitted.

Third, also in the mid 1990s, Japan had a couple of its pilots testfly the Su-27.  there was talk of some Flankers also being purchased by the Japanese.

If only one of these options had been taken up, I'm sure it would have openned the floodgates for other western nations to buy the Flanker - your thoughts?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

K5054NZ

RNZAF. We were offered them by Sukhoi, including support equipment and weapons, as seen in AIR International, February 2000, pg69.

"The announcement* saw swift moves by Sukhoi, which was there with an offer of a ten-year lease of Su-30s, targeting and navigational equipment, new precision-guided munitions and support equipment at a price equivalent to that offered by the US for the lease component of its F-16 deal."

*of the cancellation by Helen Fecking Clark of the F-16 lease deal

Gekko 1 has already done some masterful profiles, at least one of which I have to make if my Mum can acquire for me a Flanker model in Oz, but I'd love to read a backstory.

Any more ideas?

Archibald

Su-33 for the French navy!!!
Here's the backstory
When the catapults of the Foch and Clemenceau definitevely failed at the beginning of the 90's, Aeronavale needed a fighter powerful enough to take off... whithout catapults. So a ski jump was added on the old aircraft carrier, and the Su-33 was perfectly able to take off, using all the flight-deck length of course :)  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Iranian F-14A

IIRC,at one time the Greek AF was looking at buying some Su-27s.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever-1984
Current projects:
BAe EAP
OH-58F Kiowa Warrior
S-70C Civilian Hawk
HAL Light Combat Helicopter
S-64 Skycrane Firefighter

Kurlan Naiskos

I remember reading an article on that a few years ago
the US Navy and Marine Corps were thinking about it.

HMMM!!! food for thought, as I have been wanting to build a Flanker but havent gotten around to it.
now with a 'what if' idea the project seems more interesting.

Madoc

Kurlan,

I remember that article as well.  I think it centered around a cost / benefit analysis of what would be required to field the new F-18 Super Hornet vs. buying equivalent capability elsewhere.  A number of ex-USN/USMC fliers did the numbers and found that Flankers would both be better and cheaper than SuperBugs.  This, even with the development costs of integrating US electronics into the Russian built airframes.

The plan, as I recall, was to buy the airframes in their major component condition and then complete final assembly here in the US with the full-on US avionics suites.  The resulting aircraft would be faster, have greater range on internal fuel alone, carry more payload, and _still_ be cheaper than the Super Bugs.

As I recall, these Golden Wing boys were rather adamant as to the F-18 Super Hornet's lackings...

So much so that they were willing to turn to an ex-Soviet bird for a better replacement.

Madoc
Wherever you go, there you are!

PolluxDeltaSeven

A Su-33 with F100 engines, APG-73 radar, external fuel tanks ability and a large payload of AMRAAM and AIM-9X (and why not one or two couples of Phoenix under fuselage?) for the US Navy instead of the Super Bug, of course. :wub:  :wub:  
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

Archibald

A Su-33 with M-53-8 engines (12000kgp of thrust) RBE-2 Radar, MICA AAM (insurance against a Rafale failure, or alternative to the F-18 FL :P )  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

gooberliberation

My idea would be a defense contractor(Advanced Security Solutions) buys up a lot of ex-soviet equipment after the collapse of the USSR and sells its services to nato forces for dissimilar combat training, particularly when USAF/USN/USMC cuts down aggressor squadronds after mid-90s budget cuts.

Civillian flankers, anyone?
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

lancer

QuoteCivillian flankers, anyone?
Oh yes...All sorts of wonderfully colourful schemes  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

B777LR

I might just as well tell you, my next airfix GB entry will be a western flanker! Photos i hope will be tomorrow.

PolluxDeltaSeven

Civilian??

Why not an acrobatic team for a private company: after all, ADECCO has it's own, so why not a Red Bull Flanker Team or a NBA Flanker flying around the stadiums??

And with something like 8 tons of water in external tanks, a Su-32/34 could be a very very good water bomber... In red and yellow of the Sécurité Civile  :wub:  
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

lancer

QuoteThere are a number of civilian contractors that supply target facilities and "threat" sims, like FRADU. Why not a higher tech 21st century version with a couple of Flankers???????
Lots of pods and antennas and a BIG light under the radome!

Alternatively the war reserve F-14s - - - might want to keep a cadre of pilots with time on them?????????? B)
OOOH FRADU Flankers, what a damm nice idea... :D  :D  :D  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

lancer

I can se that I'm going to have to post up the RAF Flanker I built a little while ago.

GTX

Hi folks,

Some nice ideas comming along here - can't wait to see them.

On a related note, did I mention that I came close to working with the Flanker a few years back?  Specifically, the Malaysian Su-30MKM.  A company I was involved with was bidding to develop a fully westernised Intergrated Logistics Support (ILS) package for the Su-30MKMs - this would have involved my being based in Malaysia with regular trips to Russia.  Alas, the company's bid fell through and I missed my chance to get intimate with the Flanker :( .

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!