de Havilland Canada Caribou, Buffalo, Dash-7, and Dash-8

Started by Captain Canada, May 08, 2006, 11:13:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rallymodeller

Quote from: Army of One on April 06, 2011, 01:49:40 AM
Many thanks for the replies.....I was just thinking of adding it to the list of a/c used by my Maltese Defence Force....I like the look of them as well having seen them fly on a regular basis......

I remember reading a story a while ago that I am sure involved a Canadian Buffalo, in the 70's, that was shot down with the loss of the crew while performing UN duties.....the offending country (Syria) took ages to admit it had fired the SAM's that brought it down....if I remember a witness stated the plane was hit and pilot appeared to struggle to control it when it was hit again and broke up.......a memorial has been erected and I think a Buffalo was restored in the markings of the ill fated aircraft...

That would be Buffalo 461. Premier Aircraft Design offer a skin of it for their freeware FS9 CC-115, and CanMilAir have a decal set for it as well.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Logan Hartke

I though fans of the aircraft would probably enjoy this video of a Caribou operating over Afghanistan.  The crew gets a nice compliment at the end for their flying.

Aerial resupply in Laghman, Afghanistan

Cheers,

Logan

rickshaw

Good to see a 'Bou still flying and working, doing what it was designed for.  Excellent aim too, both drops dead on target.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

sandiego89

Amodel.  For anyone interested in the Buffalo, I found the Amodel 1/144 kit quite good.  It was my first Amodel build and I was pleased.  Minor putty work around the the cockpit and spine required.  I got the XC-8A version with the aircushion, wing floats and blower engines, but the kit has all the parts to make a standard version. Around $22 US.  At 1/144 it is small however with a wingspan of just under 8 inches (20cm).

Lots of WHIF potential.   I did mine as US Navy for SEAL support in Vietnam.  Has some storage damage and just realized I had the port fuselage stars and bar upside down- must have been a late night job :) 

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

raafif

Quote from: sandiego89 on February 20, 2012, 09:08:19 AM
just realized I had the port fuselage stars and bar upside down- must have been a late night job :)  

no, that side of the aircraft is in distress hence the upside down marking to notify the fact :wacko:

Do they do a Caribou too ?  The Hobbycraft kit is waaayy overpriced at $85 :o
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

rickshaw

AModel doesn't.  Ozmods do.  Ozmods do a 1/144 and a 1/48 Caribou.  The 1/144 one is in resin, the 1/48 is mixed media (vacuform fuselage, resin detail).  Both have had good reviews.  - http://www.layuqwam.com.au/Ozmods/Home.html
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

DarrenP

Interesting article in Airforces Monthly about the Canadian Airforce DHC5's and the future one option mentioned Viking redesigning the DHC5 with glass cockpit and the powerplant from the Dash 8 would be interesting.