P-39 Airacobra and P-63 King Cobra

Started by Daryl J., May 08, 2006, 05:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

That's just killer, Sequoiaranger! It reminds me of the Ascender. Excellent stuff!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

sotoolslinger

That is so cool Oh Ranger of tall tree  :wub: I loved that thing when I saw it on your pic site and still feel the same way :bow: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

sotoolslinger

You folk should really not ressurrect threads like this when I have spare model kits available

Espescially if your going to post stuff like this

And then talk about making jet Airacobras :mellow:
I amuse me.

Aircav

Quote from: sequoiaranger on June 16, 2008, 09:53:04 AM
Take a P-39....

add the pusher prop of a Swedish J-21 (hey, the engine's ALREADY in the rear) and....

add canard "tailplanes" forward and....

add Shinden vertical stabilizers to the wings and...

WTF!!!???

A fast-climbing point-defense interceptor for the Panama Canal, kinda like a piston-engined Bachem Natter or some such.

Oh my I think I've just wet myself, thats gorgeous  :wub: :wub: :bow:
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

sequoiaranger

I have at least one resin L-39 kit. The problem with a resin nosewheel kit is that the tail is not hollow--there's a LOT of weight back there to be made up in the front.

Where did you get your swept wings and tail assembly for your P-39?
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

sotoolslinger

SequoiaRanger, your kidding right ,have you seen my builds :huh: I'm gonna take a F-86 tail and wings and graft it on to the front of the P-39 and fill in the empty space with intakes :wacko: :wacko:I will also install the 6 blade prop from a Shiden and make a turbojet/jet combo
Oh and it will also be a t-tail :wacko: :wacko:
I amuse me.

Weaver

SequoiaRanger - that is genius.... :wub: :thumbsup: You can almost see Bell's brain cell's a'whirring: "Gee this drive shaft's turned out to be a pain in the donkey, how can we use the components in a different way?"

Quoteposted by sotoolslinger

You folk should really not ressurrect threads like this when I have spare model kits available

My work here is done....... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Thinking some more about my twin-tandem-turbo-cobra, the front engine's exhaust can't be in front of the rear engine's intake, and you don't want to lead the rear exhaust right to the tail, so that means you have to have BOTH exhausts on the same side, and that means you have to have both intakes on the other side, right? How gloriously asymetrical...... :wacko:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sotoolslinger

3 Forward intakes 3 rearward exhausts :wacko: :wacko:
I amuse me.

kitnut617

The L-39 is actually a converted P-63, I'm not sure why it was numbered an L-39.  You would need wings from a F-86A as the wing was being tested for low speed flight on the L-39.  From what I've read about it there's was too much weight -- up front  :o  so they changed the P-63 four blade prop to a P-39 three blade one but even then they still had to add a four foot plug into the rear fuselage to get the cg correct for the wing.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Archibald

Quote from: Aircav on July 20, 2002, 11:00:52 AM
Picked up a Bell P-63 today, thinking of doing it in RN Suez marking or may French navy in the ground attack role ???

Now that's a good idea! I like it. hmm a french COIN P-63 with a turboméca (Bastan maybe,) instead of the Allison, for Algeria in the late 50's... this imply that the P-63 was found to e highly efficient in Indochina, thus an improved variant was drawn in the mid-50's.
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

jcf

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 16, 2008, 07:02:55 PM
The L-39 is actually a converted P-63, I'm not sure why it was numbered an L-39.  You would need wings from a F-86A as the wing was being tested for low speed flight on the L-39.  From what I've read about it there's was too much weight -- up front  :o  so they changed the P-63 four blade prop to a P-39 three blade one but even then they still had to add a four foot plug into the rear fuselage to get the cg correct for the wing.

L-39 was the assigned model number, L was the USN manufacturer code for Bell and the P-63 series was the Bell design Model 39.
There were two L-39 aircraft:
L-39-1/Bu No 90060 (modified XP-63N)
L-39-2/Bu No 90061 (modified P-63A-9-BE)

The aircraft were used as part of a US Navy swept-wing research program, the program was halted 26 August, 1946.
I don't believe the L-39s were ever used to test the wings of the P-86.

Jon

GTX

QuoteHow about an early jet testbed/improvised fighter? If you had P-39/63s around and you wanted to knock out a quick and dirty jet fighter, then you wouldn't have to painfully graft your jet under the nose in Yak-15/17 style: instead, you could "just" fit it in place of the Allison, with crude "half-cone" intakes and a jetpipe extended to the rear. Use a spinner as the nose cone........

Didn't someone do a jet P-39 here a while back?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

kitnut617

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on June 17, 2008, 04:42:34 PM

L-39 was the assigned model number, L was the USN manufacturer code for Bell and the P-63 series was the Bell design Model 39.

The aircraft were used as part of a US Navy swept-wing research program, the program was halted 26 August, 1946.

Jon

Thanks Jon,  after reading the article about the L-39 I got out the kit I have of it and an old Matchbox F-86A I have and overlaid the wings to see how they compared.  They are almost a dead ringer.  IIRC the Navy tests were to see if the F-86 was safe to use for carrrier landings etc. but in the end a lot of the L-39 testing was just to correct the handling problems of the aircraft.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jcf

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 18, 2008, 04:51:57 AM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on June 17, 2008, 04:42:34 PM

Jon

Thanks Jon,  after reading the article about the L-39 I got out the kit I have of it and an old Matchbox F-86A I have and overlaid the wings to see how they compared.  They are almost a dead ringer.  IIRC the Navy tests were to see if the F-86 was safe to use for carrrier landings etc. but in the end a lot of the L-39 testing was just to correct the handling problems of the aircraft.

That is because both aircraft had wings with 35 degree sweep, the swept panels of the L-39s were actually modified P-63 outer wings.
I wouldn't be surprised if the pattern maker of the L-39 kit used an F-86 kit to create the wings, it would have been the quickest way, and the similarity between the kits proves nothing.

The Navy low-speed swept wing program using the L-39 ended a year before the the P-86 was even rolled out and well before they started looking at using it, the USN originally passed on the P-86 design and later became interested after borrowing an F-86A for chase plane duty at Patuxent River in the late forties. Info from the Navy test program was fed to the D-558-II team, another aircraft with a 35 degree swept-wing.

The L-39-2 was modified in the summer of 1946 to test low-speed characteristics of the wing design for the Bell X-2. The aircraft was ferried to NACA Langley in December of 1946, the L-39-1 had arrived there in August.The NACA later continued to use the aircraft for various tests.

Jon

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.