jcf

Beech pursuit design that looks like a Staggerwing Airacobra:

Pablo1965

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on May 10, 2011, 11:43:17 PM
Beech pursuit design that looks like a Staggerwing Airacobra:

I am sure this Airacobra could be better in agility :wub: :bow:

tomo pauk

Quote from: icchan on May 10, 2011, 06:39:41 PM
If you keep the 37mm onboard, that would be one terrifying plane to deal with.  I really, really like this.

Yep, that would've be the idea for a day fighter ( 2 x 37mm, plus wing guns).

QuoteAnyone got good images of the brit mods for the P-39, with the smaller cannon?  I'm wondering if something like stepping down to a 30mm in the nose, pulling all the MGs, and then adding a 20mm to each wing might make an even better attack aircraft.  A Mk 101 or 103 weighs too much, but a 108 is more than light enough - sure it's German, but I don't know of any similar large-bore gun for the Americans.  Smaller shells mean more ammo, anyway.  A pair of Hispano HS.404s should balance it out, I think.  Thoughts?  I'm tempted to mod this up somehow; I've got an eye on an AU Airacobra project...

Perhaps 4-5 cannons (2 in hull, 2-3 in wings). Or a pair of more powerful 37/40mm?

rickshaw

Bell, having heard about the success of the Mosquito light bomber which relied purely on speed to evade attackers decided that they would be able to do something similar, based upon the design of the P-39 Aerocobra.

Might I introduce you to the B-39 the first King Cobra?

Basically a scale-a-rama of a 1/48 P-39 with a 1/72 cockpit.  It would have two buried engines, driving a large diameter Contra-prop, with an internal bomb bay.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

tomo pauk

Looking at a P-39 two-seater, how about a really long range P-39? Only a front cockpit (but more streamlined), with a fuel tank between it & engine, another pair of .50cals in wings?

added: With 5 x .50 cals total (defeating P-39 raison d'etre, the big gun):

jzichek

Just put up a new post at RetroMechanix.com reproducing a February 1943 manual showing the specialized parts and equipment used in maintaining a Bell P-39 Airacobra in the field:

It features 21 high resolution photos of the equipment kits and where they were installed on the aircraft. Modelers interested in doing a diorama of a P-39 under repair will find plenty of valuable reference images; historians and general enthusiasts of the P-39 may also find them of interest.

-Jared

arkon

any more info on the stagger wing? thanks
the plastic gods demand sacrifice

dy031101

This looks a bit like one taking inspirations from the P-39/63?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Leading Observer

Post -War Schneider Trophy any one? A sort of Reno races for floatplanes? :lol:
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

gofy

Quote from: GTX on February 20, 2009, 10:33:49 AM
and while we're at it, a 'conventional' P-39:

Regards,

Greg

Would an inverted Vee work also?
In my opinion, British, Canadian, or USAF markings make things look so much better...

NARSES2

Interesting - have to have a look at the practicalities of putting that into plastic  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

It does suit those colours and markings  :thumbsup: