Boeing Flying Wing Designs from the 30's

Started by GTX, May 09, 2006, 05:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Hi folks,

If anyone is wanting some inspiration right now (unlikely I know)  here are some Boeing Flying Wing concepts from the mid 1930s.  They are all variations of the same theme and come under the Model 306 designation:

First the Heavy Bomber:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

Now the first fighter version - the 306B single engine variant:

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Now the Model 306C twin engined fighter:

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Both the 306B and 306C flying together:

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Now the Model 306A Commercial Airliner:

Regards,

Greg

GTX

And last, but not least, my favourite - the Commercial Flying Boat variant:

I hope you enjoy - love to see someone take on the challenge of modeling some of these (I may, one day)

Regards,

Greg

elmayerle

They were published within the last two or three years in Wings/Airpower.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

GTX

Evan,

Correct - Airpower, March 2005 to be exact.

Care to talk about the person credited for explaining the principles of the external elevon? :lol:

Regards,

Greg

philp

OK, those are pretty cool.
Alvis, have you started doing some artwork?  Those look like designs you would come up with.
Too bad they don't have any spats, Brian would be all over this idea.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Leigh

I love the Airliner, especially with turbo props as a military transport?

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

Radish

My goodness me.....like out of a '40s comic....fabulous :wub:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Maverick

The bomber is seriously cool, a definite fave.  Reminds me of the birds in Crimson Skies....

And another thought, was was with the bs about no vertical tail surfaces....??? the more informed will no doubt tell me that the B-2 is the only true flying wing without verticals, others like the B-35 & 49 having them...???

NARSES2

They are the absolute dogs b******s - just love flying wings

It's amazing how the camo finish seems to make the bomebr look a much more modern design

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

QuoteThe bomber is seriously cool, a definite fave.  Reminds me of the birds in Crimson Skies....

And another thought, was was with the bs about no vertical tail surfaces....??? the more informed will no doubt tell me that the B-2 is the only true flying wing without verticals, others like the B-35 & 49 having them...???
'Snot BS, vertical side area is important to aircraft yaw stability. On the XB-35 the prop-shaft housings supplied the side area, on the airframes that were converted to jet power as the YB-49 they had to add those small vertical fins to compensate for the removal of the prop shaft housings.

As to  the Boeing airliner and flying boat designs they are properly tailless designs rather than flying wings and the underslung fuselages, particularly on the flying boat, would possibly supply adequate area.

As to a "pure" flying wing...the B-2 doesn't qualify as its humped fuselage supplies some side area and at low speeds the massive landing gear doors supply increased side area for slip resistance. The B-2 only gets away with its minimal area because of the computerized flight controls.

The "purest" wings, i.e. ones with the absolute minimum of side area, to fly are probably some of the Horten gliders...but even they have some side area.

Cheers, Jon

B777LR

I would never ever go flying with that tailess airliner. Just not safe enough for me.