If the Lockheed YF-12 had entered service?

Started by famvburg, May 10, 2006, 06:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Hi folks,

I should correct myself - my plan is actually to create a B-71 (instead of B-12) version - the second crew member is an essential!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

Madoc,

Ok - it's still largely in the planning stages, so you will have to wait for the pictures (besides, you will all need to get approprate security clearances (Evan may be OK on this front) :lol: ).

As to the mission of the plane in question:  Strategic Strike - initially armed with about 4 AGM-69 SRAMs (and later AGM-131A SRAM IIs) or perhaps B-61s on a rotary launcher similar to this:

I see this as a Top Secret compliment to the FB-111/replacement for the B-58.

Later on, once declassified the USAF will develop a conventional, precision guided version of the SRAM II (the AGM-131B SRAM-T) for use in surgical strike roles (first day of war stuff).

I plan to do this all in 1/48 so it will be a big sucker!

Regards,

Greg

RLBH

B-71 would probably be the best designation, especially as SR-71 was originally from the bomber series...

famvburg

No probably about it. B-71 was its proposed designation, as was the B-12.

Shasper

Or FB-12, based off the intented production model F-12B

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

elmayerle

From the latest edition of the Aerofax book, the B-71 carried four SRAM in what wre the Q-bays of the SR-71.  The rotary launcher was from an earlier B-12 study.  Me, I'd like to combine them for a bit larger warload, even if that meant more tanking.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

GTX

Evan,

I'm still in the planning stages so anything is possible.  I have a picture of the FB-12-4 bomber proposal which shows the SRAMs in the aft Q-Bay as you suggested (there are AIM-7E/F in the front):

But I am partial to the Rotary launcher in a true bombbay like a 'real' bomber.

Early in the planning at this stage so we will have to see what eventuates.

Regards,

Greg

elmayerle

There was also a straight-out B-71 version with four SRAMs carried to the exclusions of everything else.  As I said, I rather like the thought of combining the two, even with the drawbacks that causes range.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Cartman

The Lockheed F-12 would have been the ideal manned interceptor.  But it would have been a single mission aircraft.  Much like the Soviet MiG-25 Foxbat.

If the Soviets had their version of the North American B-70 Valkyrie to menace the skies, there is no doubt that the Lockheed F-12 would have entered service.

Perhaps had the threat changed to flooding NORAD with stand off weapons like cruise missles from bombers, instead of ballistic missles, perhaps the F-14 Tomcat with its AWG-9/Phoenix weapon system would have been ideal to counter this.

Shasper

Still waiting for the Italer YF-12 to release (need 3 for ideas related to this thread)

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

MartG

I remember seeing a pic of one painted in Royal Mail colour scheme - now that's what I call airmail...... :lol:  
Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

Archibald

Well just call It Guillotine an paint it with in AdA markings :P  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

MartG

There was also one I saw built by the artist Roger Dean - nose/cockpit replaced by a seagull's skull. IIRC he used it as a model for one of his album covers
Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

B777LR

For those who want a kit of it, and cannot get the italeri kit, heres a website with a link: http://www.xs4all.nl/~designer/models/mode...dels-index.html
You will need to press the "1/72 scale" link, and scroll down to the YF-12A.

Hammer-nikit

Some ideas... Give the basic SR-71 fuselage a stretch.. maybe a milan tipe "mustache" canard upfront for low speed control and better handling. Also since you are inserting the SRAM bomb bay this means more weight and less fuel thus the need for a mild stretching, forward and of course behind the wings to balance. ;) Also how about changing the cockpit, larger windows anyone? Maybe a third crew member, Navigator bombardier? Dont forget the much later B-1B still needed four people aboard to complete the mission. The tail should house nifty ECM bumps and antennas don't want to be an easy prey for those pesky MiG-25! ;)

Have fun!

Hammer