S

Pilatus PC-9 and T-6 Texan II

Started by SinUnNombre, May 11, 2006, 01:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinUnNombre

Hey everyone. Recently, the USAF has been doing trainer flights out of my local podunk airport. They bank right over my house from the south every clear day right about the time I get home from school. I can recognize two types: the T-37 and a single-engine turboprop I can't ID. Coming out of of a bank they look dead on like a P-51. Does anyone know offhand what it might be? Its no problem to get pics if anyone needs them for ID. Thanks in advance. Later.

Jon

Eddie M.

I believe it's the Texan II. It is sporty! B)
   Eddie

***removed dead image link***
Look behind you!

GTX

Jon,

Yes, as Eddie said, I think you will find it is the Raytheon T-6A Texan II Joint Primary Air Training System (JPATS).  It's a derivative of the Pilatus PC-9.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

Though I think I prefer the look of some of our Australian PC-9s:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

elmayerle

WIth the exception of the canopy, the lines aft of the firewall are the same as for the PC-9, but the structure is decidedly different in that the T-6A had to meet FAR 25 birdstrike requirements and that lead to considerable structural redesign.  I know, I was on that one for a while (and I'd just as soon never, ever, work for Raytheon Aircraft/Beech again).
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

SinUnNombre

Quotethe Raytheon T-6A Texan II

Yup, that's it. Thanks for all your help guys. If y'all want, I can get some pics of the little bastards to post up.

Jon

elmayerle

QuoteInteresting that Embraer basically did what Shorts did 20 years ago - more powerful engine
And Raytheon/Beech did much the same thing in adapting the PC-9 as the Texan II, though they did have to do a fair bit of internal structural redesign to meet FAA birdstrike requirements; the T-6A is fully FAA-certified.

elmayerle

QuoteEarlier this year I picked up an Aeroclub PC-9 in 1/72 with the intention of converting it into a Texan II.  I'll have to have a look at it to see what the differences are once I get the kits all unpacked again (which could be a while yet).  It will go nicely with the Airfix Tucano I've got.
The main differences are in the cowling, prop, and exhausts with all new lines and panels from the firewall forward.  Too, I believe that the T-6A has more in the way of canopy framing to meet FAA birdstrike requirements.  Those are the most noticeable differences, though there may be some minor ones that careful examination of pictures will find.

kitnut617

The main differences are in the cowling, prop, and exhausts with all new lines and panels from the firewall forward.  Too, I believe that the T-6A has more in the way of canopy framing to meet FAA birdstrike requirements.  Those are the most noticeable differences, though there may be some minor ones that careful examination of pictures will find.
Thanks Evan,

I'll have a look at some photos of it, the item I noticed right away was the Texan II has some prominent ventral strakes under the tail.

Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

rickshaw

Quote from: GTX on May 11, 2006, 02:35:04 PM
Though I think I prefer the look of some of our Australian PC-9s:

Regards,

Greg

I see or hear these overhead near my house at least once a week in the northern suburbs of Perth.  Obviously they are flying out of Pearce.  Along with the yearly SASR paradrop training off shore it makes life fairly interesting.  The SASR use Caribous and a Casa civil aircraft (obviously on charter).  Not sure which one but it has a fixed undercarriage and looks a bit like a box with wings.

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Shasper

In other news, the IDF/AF just took delivery of their first Texans to replace their elderly Zephyrs . . . How long before they get AT-6s?

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

ChernayaAkula

^ PICS OF THE T-6A EFRONY (LARK) by xnir on flickr.

Weaver, thanks for the heads-up regarding the Piranhas.  :thumbsup: Always thought it was the Colombians that downed that smuggler plane.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?