F-2 (F2H) Banshee

Started by Joeisamonkey, May 12, 2006, 11:41:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joeisamonkey

Hey Guys,

Would the Banshee been able to take part in Operation musketeer (the British/French invasion of the Suez Canal). I thought it would look cool with sharks teeth and recognition marks. Might even try a wing fold.

Take Care,

JoeW
Holy poo-poo I'm in the Army

Alvis 3.1

Depending on the mark...the 4s and 5s came along a little late for that (I think) but the earlier ones certainly..they were used in Korea.
And...I LIKE the idea!

Alvis 3.1

XV107

Banshees did participate at Suez after a fashion - several (operating from the carriers of the US 6th Fleet) were encountered by CAPs from the Anglo-French task force.

Both the Dash-3 and Dash-4 model Banshees were in service by 1956, so there'd be no problem in using them as the basis for the whif (a Op Musketeer Cougar and FJ Fury have been on my 'to do' list for a while now, along with the slightly more barking notion of a Fleet Air Arm Cutlass...)

philp

Got a pic of a RN Cutlass that I took at a Nats years ago.  Plane really looked good in that scheme.

I think the Banshee would look great but are you going French, British or adding the Canadians to the list?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Mike Wren

Quote(a Op Musketeer Cougar and FJ Fury have been on my 'to do' list for a while now, along with the slightly more barking notion of a Fleet Air Arm Cutlass...)
the Cutlass I've got planned will be French Navy in Suez stripes  ;)  

Geoff_B

870 Sqdn got its Banshee F2H-3 in Nov 1955 and 871 sqdn changed over from Sea Fury in Aug 1956. These would have to opereate off Magnificent as Bonnie did not enter service till 1957.

G

Jeffry Fontaine

Sad that no one has bothered to consider producing a reasonably priced injection molded F2H Banshee in 1/48th scale. 

You are right about that old Hawk/Testor's kit, it was a real piece of work.  Having seen the contents of the 1/48th scale Collectaire Banshee kit in person as well as the price tag, I would really prefer to see it in injection molded plastic.  Maybe Monogram will be inspired to release the kit some day as a companion to their F9F Panther. 

Odd that a major Navy fighter-bomber of the Korean War has had so little interest in the modeling community.  I imagine there would be a good bit of business for a 1/48th scale Banjo in RCN markings if it were offered. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

elmayerle

If you have a  kit of one of the stretched ones (F2H-3 or -4) and one of the XF-88, you can do McD's F2H-5 proposal that mated the wings and engine installations of the XF-88 with the F2H-3/4 fuselage to give a swept-wing version.  See US Naval Air Superiority for drawings of this one.  Markings could be 'most any country that might've operated the Banshee or any ofthe USN's 1st generation swept wing fighters.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Jeffry Fontaine

For some inspiration, here is an image of a Banshee launching the Mk 1 Mod 0 ''BOAR'' (Bureau of Ordnance Aircraft Rocket).  Described as a 30.0" (762mm) rocket, this was based on the diameter of the weapon (measured at the widest circumference).  It was basically a Mk 7 tactical nuclear bomb with a rocket motor fitted in the aft section of the weapon.  The Mk 7 (W7) warhead was credited with a 20kt yield.  The intent was to give the delivery aircraft a chance to escape the blast after release.  At least that was the idea. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Jeffry Fontaine

Classic Airframes - New Products
Has some good news for the folks that have been wanting a new tool McDonnell Banshee in 1/48th scale.  CA is finally going to provide one unfortunately with the usual CA price.  Here is the box art image to entice you.

GTX

Great news - be watching for this.  Nice picture too. 

You know, I always thought the Banshee's wing looked like it wanted to be forward swept - I therefore decided to see what such a creation might look like, here's the result:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Wikipedia:F2H Banshee "Unlike most other early jet fighters, no two-seat version was ever produced."
I was under the impression that there had been a two seat trainer developed but I was wrong.  So how about a WHIF two seat Banshee?  Something maybe as the result of a kit bashing with another McDonnell or Douglas product from that era? 

Additional Banshee references on-line:
Greg Goebel's Air Vectores: The McDonnell FH-1 Phantom & F2H Banshee
PDF File from Navy Historical Center: F2H-2 Standard Aircraft Characteristics
Joe Baugher's page on the F2H Banshee
Steve Mesner's 1/48th scale Hawk/Testor's F2H Banshee
Wikipedia: F2H Banshee
Boeing-MDD page on the F2H Banshee
Collect-Aire Resin's 1/48 Scale F2H-3/4 Banshee built by Fotios Rouch
Three-view drawing of F2H-4 Banshee (1660 x 1130) from the F2H Banshee page at the Virtual Aircraft Museum

tigercat2

I have always like the Banjo; here is a USAF version along with the Navy version; both are Hobbycraft 1/72 kits.

Wes W.

Daryl J.

Do to the Banshee what was done to the WB-57 but in a Banjo sort of way.   :wub: :wub: :wub:    I'm not suggesting scratching the U-2 but..............

:cheers:
Daryl J.

Mossie

A U-2 precursor maybe?  Semi succesful, but continued problems ultimately saw the introduction into service of the Dragon Lady.  Longer span, maybe a pair of J46's?  The J46 wasn't particularly sucessful, so this may have allowed the U-2 to jump in?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.