F-101 (and XF-88) Voodoo

Started by NARSES2, December 14, 2003, 10:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Picked up 2 Revell Voodo's on Saturday (Should that be Voodi ?).

Now one will be done straight in RCAF colours but I want to do the other in RAF Colours circa early/mid 70's - my question's gentlemen are -

If the RAF had bought Voodo's what would the likely colour schemes have been ?

And secondly would the UK have bought into the whole package so that we would have got the Hughes missile systems (inc. the Genie's) or would we have re-armed them - if so with what ?

Thanks in advance

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Matt Wiser

If the F-101 version sold to the RAF was the B version, then getting Falcon and Genie is likely-with Genies under dual-key arrangement. Then there's the RF-101C version. F-101A was used as a nuclear strike aircraft by 81st FBW/TFW out of Woodbridge/Bentwaters according to Wings of Fame magazine. Standard weapon load-a single 1MT Mk-28 weapon. Canada and Taiwan only export customers for the Voodoo, Canadians got the B, Taiwan got the RF-101C and flew them over the mainland on low-level recon missions....
Treat everyone you meet with kindness and respect; but always have a plan to kill them.

Old USMC adage

F-32

Colour would be silver for UK fighter force and it could be overall green for RAF Germany, similar to the Lightning F2A fighters.  Glossy green and grey and light grey undersides would also look nice

nev

Yeah!  With the 3 colour roundels!  :wub:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Radish

I have the following scheme "planned" for my F-101B Voodoo of 92 Sqn, using the Monogram 1/48th kit in the loft:

All over white/mid-blue/dark-blue disruptive aggressor finish heavily weathered and used, with red/blue markings and full red/yellow unit markings.
Totally rediculous, I know, but it'll look cool!!

I've also seen one in full RAF Desert camo....sand/dark earth/azure blue.

whatever, have fun and be unusual.
Unfortunately, the RAF's idea of being unusual is painting the tip of the nosewheel door in dark blue!
BORING!!
:party:  :party:  :party:  :party:  :party:  :party:  :party:  :party:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

lancer

If I do a Voodo, then I think it'll be a night intruder scheme Black undersides with either black/green or gray/green uppers. Hell, I might even do a splinter scheme or a 2 tone mottled scheme.  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

retro_seventies

QuoteHell, I might even do a splinter scheme or a 2 tone mottled scheme.

a splinter scheme?  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

be still my beating heart...
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Daryl J.

Here's a F-101 I've had in mind for some time:

Enlarged wing approx 25-30% keeping same general profile and used either in ASW or Anti-shipping roles.   Reposition the horiz. stabs somewhat.

Danish markings?  Kriegsmarine?  JMSDAF?  ROK?

The Voodoo has *huge* what-if potential, IMHO.   Great choice of aircraft!

Daryl, doing laundry

NARSES2

Thanks Lads

I think I'll either do her all over white (that "Beerkut" Lightning in the Nationals is still in my mind) or Natural Metal and give either option a full colour tail, with full squadron markings from the SAM Hunter Set. Armament I'll stick with the Hughe's missiles.

Might need to get another couple of kits though !

One slight critic on the kit is the instructions - has anyone seen them ? How the hell any youngster will understand them is betond me ! Revell at their worst I'm afraid.

Thanks again

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Radish

All-over white?
Do you mean snow camouflaged??
How about fitting a retractable-ski u/c?? For operations in Norway??
Like the RDAF idea....that mucky weathered Olive Drab??
:wub:
Is it possible to fit floats?

NARSES2

QuoteAll-over white?
Do you mean snow camouflaged??
How about fitting a retractable-ski u/c?? For operations in Norway??
Like the RDAF idea....that mucky weathered Olive Drab??
Is it possible to fit floats?
Yes - all over white

No - Not for snow camoflage but because I like it

As for skis and floats whaterver your on Radish, I'll have two pints !

Chris

Davey B

Must get a Voodoo kit for my RAF Auxiliary of the 70s...

(one more brick in the wall...)

elmayerle

QuoteHow about fitting a retractable-ski u/c?? For operations in Norway??
Hmm, didn't the Soviet Union experiment with that kind of landing gear on a Su-7?  I seem to remember seeing a picture of one like that.  It might serve as a guide for doing one on the Voodoo.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Radish

I reckon the idea of retractable skis might be really quite feasable in a world of snow and ice.
The Voodoo could still be RCAF AND have skis!!
But, how about Finnish??
Norwegian?/
Even Luftwaffe????
Danish operating from Greenland??

P1127

My RAF Century series senario involves the Voodoo being an FAW replacement for the Javelin, DSG/DG/Alu allocated to 151 Squadron out of Leuchars.

For the record, the others are:

F-100 - Hunter replacement, RAFG (112 Squadron)
F-102 - interim long range day interceptor pending delivery of F-106 (74 Sqn)
F-104 - Short range interceptor, RAFG based (92 Squadron)
F-105 - Canberra tacc Nuke bomber replacement, RAFG and RAF Middle East (16 Sqn)
F-106 - day interceptor, (23 Squadron)

The alternative history is a rapid need to re-arm post-Cuba after the Sandys cuts cancelled ALL manned aircraft.
It's not an effing  jump jet.