F-101 (and XF-88) Voodoo

Started by NARSES2, December 14, 2003, 10:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmayerle

QuoteMy RAF Century series senario involves the Voodoo being an FAW replacement for the Javelin, DSG/DG/Alu allocated to 151 Squadron out of Leuchars.

For the record, the others are:

F-100 - Hunter replacement, RAFG (112 Squadron)
F-102 - interim long range day interceptor pending delivery of F-106 (74 Sqn)
F-104 - Short range interceptor, RAFG based (92 Squadron)
F-105 - Canberra tacc Nuke bomber replacement, RAFG and RAF Middle East (16 Sqn)
F-106 - day interceptor, (23 Squadron)

The alternative history is a rapid need to re-arm post-Cuba after the Sandys cuts cancelled ALL manned aircraft.
I do believe that at one time, early 1964, Republic was pitching an Olympus-powered two-seat F-105 as an interim aircraft until the P.1154 came along.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Radish

Just LOVE the Century Series...when 'planes were 'planes!
:wacko:
So we have the following scenario of the UK re-arming off the shelf after taking over the Middle-East after Suez, and in the face of Soviet inspired expansion of Communism in Africa/SE Asia:

F-100D...112 Sqn, but in Desert Scheme as worn by P-40s earlier and with full sharkmouth.
F-101....92 Sqn (too early for the Aggressor finish from an earlier post), in dull natural metal, but blue spine/fin and full unit markings of red/yellow checks.
F-102....RAux AF...high-gloss grey/green over dull silver unbdersurfaces, but heavily weathered and full colour bright unit insignia/national markings plus nose-art.
F-104....either dull silver or grey/green over silver, or dull green. All very weathered and with subdued unit markings. 41 Sqn? The possibility of a black 111Sqn F-104 exists, and a Tiger from 74Sqn??
F-105....two-tone grey with green wrap-around....a sort of European One camo with 4 Sqn markings. Also, a wrap-around 3-tone desert scheme and a Gulf-pink scheme. All very weathered as they're "down and dirty". Lots of unit markings available, plus nose-art. Single AND two-seaters. Also, all-black intruder.
F-106....medium sea grey with pr blue undersurfaces and fuselage sides. Full colour roundels, unit markings. Or, all-over pale-grey with a red spine and red/white checked fin of 56 Sqn? Or, all low-viz insignia on a darkish grey camo, with black spine and black/greychecks on the fin from 56Sqn???
:wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:
Any ideas prove attractive??
In about a year or two's time, when we'vecleared up a few of these group builds, why not an alternative Century Series build??
:party:  :party:  :party:  :party:  :party:  :party:  :party:  :party:  :party:  :party:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

P1127

QuoteF-105.... Also, all-black intruder.
Maybe - 16 Squadron with the 'Saint' on the fin...

Then an F4E as a F100 replacement......
It's not an effing  jump jet.

Radish

Talking to Andy (the guy who made the all-yellow RESCUE V-22 Osprey on the stand at the NATS?!) and he said he'd been contaminated by us to "do" his 1/48th Voodoo as a RAF example too. I described my "aggressor" choice to him, and he mused about an alternative.
I "mused" coming home in the car after the club meeting and considered the following F-101B RAF Voodoo alternative camos:

All over silver
grey green gloss over silver or light grey
dark green uppersurfaces over light grey
all over medium sea grey
all over medium sea grey but with a dark green disruptive camo over the upper surfaces.
all-over light grey but with mid-blue-grey disruptive camoflage over all surfaces(rather like that scheme the Luftwaffe tried on the F-4F)
dark grey uppers over medium grey unders

Unit markings?
Well, lots available in high/low-viz format, but try for 85 Sqn??

quite excited about this now (sad git complex) but I mustn't let it get in the way of the Sea Harrier/Hawk plan!1
:party:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

upnorth

Right. So we've thought about a few different types and what might have been had they been exported more widely.

I've got a rather large weak spot for the F-101 and feel its sad that it didn't get exported to more than Canada and Taiwan. Here's a few scattered thoughts (as most of my thoughts usually are) on potential other Voodoo customers:

Australia

Why should any self respecting strategically important island nation be without a hulking brute of an interceptor?

Besides, I think she'd look bitchin' with roos in her roundels!

Japan

Same reason as for Australia. Would also look great with hinomarus

Those are the first two that come to my mind, I'm also thinking that South Korea and several Middle Eastern countries would make likely candidiates.

Say that, for whatever reason, the Saudi Arabian and Kuwaiti BAC Lightning purchases fell through and both countries went interceptor shopping elsewhere and found the Voodoo to their liking. Of course America would likely prefer to sell them F-104s, but all that oil in both countries could certainly grease the gears for some expanded negotiations for their defence procurements.

Any other thoughts
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Jeffry Fontaine

After seeing that shiny F-101A on ARC the other day it got me to thinking about a possible modernization program for the F-101 using some components of the F-4 and upgrade to the J-79 for the engines.  

Also add on the seldom seen and used wing pylons for the carriage of ECM pods or a couple of AIM-9 Sidewinders.  There was a small pylon designed for carriage of an ECM pod that was originally available for the F-101A/C and the RF-101A/C.  

Maybe taking the F-101B and converting it into a two seat strike aircraft by removing the missile bay and using that for additional electronics and fuel.  This version could be a candidate for the RAF as the F-101K or Voodoo SR.1.  
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Hatchet

QuoteAny other thoughts
RAF!

They'd start out with the Voodoo FG.1 and R.2, to replace the Hunters in strike and recce roles. Then they get the F(AW).3 as replacement for the Javelin (or in place of it?). FG.1s and R.2s are replaced by...something. The F(AW).3 is replaced by Tomcat F.1s

:cheers:

upnorth

QuoteAny other thoughts
RAF!

They'd start out with the Voodoo FG.1 and R.2, to replace the Hunters in strike and recce roles. Then they get the F(AW).3 as replacement for the Javelin (or in place of it?). FG.1s and R.2s are replaced by...something. The F(AW).3 is replaced by Tomcat F.1s

:cheers:
*Slaps head*

Iran! Obviously it could be the forerunner to their Tomcats!

Not to mention looking great in desert camo

Thanks for the idea man!
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

K5054NZ

Here's what Jeffry Fontaine has to say on the subject of the RNZAF Voodoo, the F.101K:

"F-101K Voodoo enhanced strike aircraft with F-4 cockpit, no missile bay, one pylon on each wing for ECM pod or Sidewinder and a pair of J-79s  
make it a two seat strike aircraft  
with enough pylons for two fuel tanks, one ECM pod, dual rail Sidewinder launcher, and a large centerline pylon for taking out those pesky Japanese and Chinese fishing vessels that just happen to encroach on your territorial waters/economic zone or the occasional nuclear mutated lizard that happens to drop by."

from a conversation this morning on Trillian/MSN Messenger, used without permission, please don't tell on me

Daryl J.

RAF photorecon.....known as the Evil Eye!
Kriegsmarine?
Belgian strike aircraft.

Enlarge the main wing by 20%, add J-79s, and put it in the Lousiana ANG and call it the Cajun Queen!  :wacko:

Daryl J.

elmayerle

QuoteEnlarge the main wing by 20%, add J-79s, and put it in the Lousiana ANG and call it the Cajun Queen!  :wacko:
Use F-4 wings with the tips "un-bent" for the new wings?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Archibald

Atar engines, R-530 AAM (Vautour replacement, Mirage III alternative :) )  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Captain Canada

Quote"un-bent"
I believe the word you are looking for is "de-bendified"

:P  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Mmmmm.... :wub:  Voodoos !

I like the idea of Iran or Isreal, get the desert camo thing going. Voodoos in any colours would be cool.

I smell a GB.........

:party:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Jeffry Fontaine

QuoteUse F-4 wings with the tips "un-bent" for the new wings?
I had that same thought last night while I was trying to go to sleep.  I considered the wing option and was wondering how best to apply them with or without the upward swept outboard wing sections.  

Adding the wings and other equipment from the Phantom would make an interesting WHIF of a possible upgraded Voodoo for use by the USAF as well as other countries.  

One additional benefit of swapping out the wings would be to give the Voodoo two extra pylons on the wing for fuel tanks which would free up the underside for carriage of one centerline tank and a pair of mulitple ejector racks in place of the current fuel tanks underneath each engine.  This could become a real interesting WHIF if done right.  

Now I have to consider acquisition of another pair of F-101B kits....
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg