F-101 (and XF-88) Voodoo

Started by NARSES2, December 14, 2003, 10:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmayerle

Baugher's website says the F-101D/E were the J79-powered proposals.  That's one reason I'm looking at using two J79s on my F3H-3 effort.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Daryl J.

Here's the twist on the all-white Voodoo I'd like to do someday to the Monogram kit.

Enlarge and reprofile the main wing and put the aircraft into the same role as the Blackburn Buccaneer.   Underwing stores would be welcome.  Revise the nose a tad due to the air-to-ground role but keep the aircraft pointy and sharp.  Lo-vis USAF markings or perhaps RAF for the Voodoo-II.

A Norwegian variant has been thought of a bit, but readily seen changes aren't in my (rather shrunken and small) mind yet.

Daryl J.

[edit]  Holy Thread-merge, Jeffman!  :thumbsup:  

GTX

Given the Voodoo was designed as a long range fighter which would suit Australia, how about RAAF Voodoos instead of the Mirage III?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

upnorth

QuoteGiven the Voodoo was designed as a long range fighter which would suit Australia, how about RAAF Voodoos instead of the Mirage III?

Regards,

Greg
Ooooooh!!! ARDU "Fanta Can" Voodoos! :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

I'd probably make a RAF Voodoo from an RF-101B and put it in hemp over grey.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

SinUnNombre

I think a Voodoo would look good in Viggen splinter with Swedish roundels.

How about flipping the wings around for an FSW demenstrator. X-29 circa 1970.

Jon

Jeffry Fontaine

I have managed to acquire the Monogram 1/48th scale RF-101B kit and it is absolutely horrible looking with that deformed nose housing the camera ports.  It does however have a nice blanking piece for the rotary weapons bay which will come in handy for modifying the standard F-101B into a two seat strike aircraft.  Not sure if I am going to try an fit it with a gun port or leave it as is.  The strike version will benefit from the addition of a centerline pylon from the Monogram F-4C/D in addition to the two fuel tanks that will be mounted under the engines.  The addition of two small pylons on the wing for carriage of countermeasures pods will also be addressed.  Fortunatlely I have the vacu-form conversion for the F-101A/C and it includes the wing pylon parts for use as a pattern.  This is a simple conversion of the basic F-101B to create a nuclear strike aircraft which could have been picked up for use by the French (since they were flying the F-100), the RAF and other NATO air forces.  Not a lot of cosemtic changes involved save for the cover over the weapons bay which would be used for additional fuel to increase range.  

For the strike mission, the weapon of choice would probably be the B28 or the B43 for USAF service and for the RAF it would have been Redbeard and later the WE177.  French AdA would probably have been the AN11 or AN22 since it is roughly about the same size as the 600 gallon fuel tank carried by the F-4 (this was ascertained by comparing the fuel tank to the weapon shape in the Mirage IV kit).  

If there was to be a conventional load, I would imagine a centerline pylon with an MER and 6 X 500 pound or 750 pound general purupose bombs.  Not sure if the fuel tank attachments under the engines would support a weapon of any kind since the fuel tanks attach directly to the fuselage without a pylon interface.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Archangel

Would a  delta wing or double delta wing work on the F-101?

Archibald

You can suppose that the Mirage IIIE was cancelled and your strike F-101B chosen instead  :cheers:  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Archibald on January 01, 2008, 02:57:58 AMYou can suppose that the Mirage IIIE was cancelled and your strike F-101B chosen instead
That would create a lot of WHIF possibilities for the F-101.  Now what would be a good designation for this Strike Voodoo?  The single seater versions were the F-101A, F-101C, RF-101A, RF-101C.  The interceptor was the F-101B and CF-101B.  The interceptor modified to become a reconnaissance aircraft was the RF-101B.  So it would be natural to assume that the next available version would be the F-101D.  Maybe it would have had the same fire control and radar that was fitted to the F-4D and F-4E. 

Perhaps the F-101F(France, AdA) could have the signature Mirage IIIE radome as a way of defining the difference from a standard F-101A/C?  Maybe add the engine exhaust parts from the Atar and strap something underneath like a Martel ARM? 

(This was suggested in another topic on the F-101 prior to the merging into this topic) 
The F-4 wing on the F-101?  You could attach the wings with the bent outboard panels or flatten them out, either way the F-101 would have a wing that was larger and this might help with the Navy version that some of you were pondering.  The bonus for the wing swap is the additional wing stations that will be gained with the Phantom wing to allow fuel tanks and weapons to be carried.   

I am still comtemplating the fuel tank problem which could be several options:
*Single 600 gallon centerline tank from the F-4
*Two 400 gallon tanks with centerline pylon available for ordnance
*three 400 gallon tanks (might be a space issue with the center tank)

How about an F-101 fitted with Atar engines for the French version?  What would be a suitable UK manufactured engine for such an application? 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

jcf

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on May 19, 2008, 07:38:32 PM
Quote from: Archibald on January 01, 2008, 02:57:58 AMYou can suppose that the Mirage IIIE was cancelled and your strike F-101B chosen instead
That would create a lot of WHIF possibilities for the F-101.  Now what would be a good designation for this Strike Voodoo?  The single seater versions were the F-101A, F-101C, RF-101A, RF-101C.  The interceptor was the F-101B and CF-101B.  The interceptor modified to become a reconnaissance aircraft was the RF-101B.  So it would be natural to assume that the next available version would be the F-101D. 

F-101D and F-101E were reserved for the projected, but unbuilt, J79 powered variants.

Jon

Archibald

I like this idea of a french Voodoo.
IMHO the J-57 being elder was bigger and heavier than the Atar 9 (1.5 m diameter and 2000 kg for the J-57,
1600 kg and 1.1 m diameter for the french turbojet)
So it wouldn't be a problem fitting a Voodoo with Atar.

Now there's the nasty flight caractristic problems... maybe scaled-up Etendard/SMB-2 wings could help ?

With its long-range the Voodoo could replace Vautours, Mirage IV and Mirage III in many,many roles. A true multirole heavy fighter.

Armement ? Underbelly AN-52 sounds obvious. Can't see the plane survived enough longer to receive ASMP.

Mirage IIIR and E noses (I liked the idea of a Mirage nosecone)
Martel sounds cool, too.

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

JoeRugby

So I have the old Matchbox F101 kit a load of sheet styrene and an itchy Dremel finger...I am thinking of a naval version...with the F4 wings, flattened wings...and an engine upgrade as well...

ALL BLACK - ENOUGH SAID !!!

Shasper

Think most of the 101's handling issues are the result of the T tail arrangement. If one were to rearrange the tail into a mid or low mounted elevator layout, then a good bit of the issues should be cured.

Where's Even when I need him?

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Weaver

Quote from: Shasper on May 29, 2008, 08:37:21 PM
Think most of the 101's handling issues are the result of the T tail arrangement. If one were to rearrange the tail into a mid or low mounted elevator layout, then a good bit of the issues should be cured.

Where's Even when I need him?

Shas 8)

All true, but you've also got a thin, highly swept, highly-loaded wing (154 lb/sq.ft IIRC  :blink:) with pitch-up issues, which is never an agile fighter going to make......
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

KJ_Lesnick

You know what I would think would be awesome...  An F-101B/F-4E Hybrid (with perhaps some F-3 Demon characteristics)!

They're both such beautiful aircraft, the F-101B with it's long graceful fuselage superbly shaped twin-seat bubble-cockpit and it's well-shaped nose-cone, the F-4 with longer, taller inlet-ducts, its bigger, more highly swept, larger wing with upturned wingtips, and down-turned stabilators, and the F-4's tailfin. 

What do you all think?

KJ Lesnick

That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.