F-101 (and XF-88) Voodoo

Started by NARSES2, December 14, 2003, 10:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sideshowbob9

Why am I so late to this thread?

I currently have 9 Voodoos in various states of completion & now thanks to this thread, there's scope for more!

F-101G Marineflieger Maritime Strike Variant (F-101B-based)
RF-101C Luftwaffe
RF-101C SAAF
RF-101N USN (RF-8 Alternative)
RF-101K RAuxAF (RF-101C-based)
RF-101M RAF (RF-101B-based)
F-101K RAuxAF (F-101C-based)
F-101M RAF (F-101B-based)
EF-101M RAF (Wild Weasel based on F-101B)

Suffice to say, I like Voodoos  ;D

dy031101

Since I've always been fascinated by transitional items (in this case, afterburning centrifugal-flow turbojet), I've always wondered about this: which one offers a higher thrust-to-weight ratio, two Westinghouse J46 turbojets or one Pratt & Whitney J48?

Just thinking...... XF-88 with an afterburning J48 and a tail boom similar to the F3H Demon (keeping as much of everything else as possible though)...... how would that have looked?

And does anyone know how the proposed two-seater forward fuselage looked like?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Geoff

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on March 31, 2009, 05:53:33 AM

I like that idea!

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Geoff on October 04, 2009, 01:21:20 PM
I like that idea!

That would be an excellent WHIF.  So would you be arming that beast with Kormorans or Exocets?  Or stick with something even more retro like a pair of Bullpups?  Wing pylons are going to be interesting but artistic license is authorized and you could try and use a couple of pylons from an F-4 (made by the same company so why not).
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

GTX

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on October 04, 2009, 01:56:30 PM
I like that idea!

That would be an excellent WHIF.  So would you be arming that beast with Kormorans or Exocets?  Or stick with something even more retro like a pair of Bullpups?  Wing pylons are going to be interesting but artistic license is authorized and you could try and use a couple of pylons from an F-4 (made by the same company so why not).

Maybe even some AS-20s or AS-30s?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: GTX on October 04, 2009, 02:37:21 PM
I like that idea!

AS-30 perhaps and the AS-30L if the F-101 were able to remain in service long enough. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Geoff

Perhaps a pair of Kormorans under the fuselage, if there is clearance for them? With the AAMs bay given over to the new avionics and a different radar.

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Geoff on October 04, 2009, 03:29:29 PMPerhaps a pair of Kormorans under the fuselage, if there is clearance for them? With the AAMs bay given over to the new avionics and a different radar.

Perhaps there will be enough room left over to add in the muzzle port along the side of the fuselage to suggest the aircraft is armed with an M61 Vulcan 20mm cannon?

Daryl J.

Lindberg's XF-88 just begs for some large underwing tanks, a pair of antishipping missiles underwing and one on the midline of the belly.    Perhaps it could carry a pair of fictitious antisubmarine missiles as part of a hunter/killer duo.

sideshowbob9

Quote from: GTX on October 04, 2009, 02:37:21 PM
I like that idea!

I don't have any Kormorans to hand but they would be the logical choice. Both Exocets and AS-30s are options though. My Voodoos, like everything else, are in perpetual WIP but I did take some pics a while back.

The radome on the G model was meant to be tan but I somehow got it confused with cream!  :banghead:

ChernayaAkula

<...>
RF-101C Luftwaffe
<...>

Killer ideas!  :wacko: So, the Voodoo was procured instead of the "missile with a man in it"? There'd be all kinds of wonderful schemes, then. Especially since the Starfighter stayed long enough in Luftwaffe service to get "lizard" wrap-around camo. That'd look very sexy on a recce Voodoo.  :wub:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

dy031101

After reading a suggestion in my mental notes thread, I have a question:

Did F-101B and F-101F get rid of guns out of space constraint or simply out of the belief that cannons aren't needed in interceptors?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Fulcrum

I think they did not include cannon because they believed that the cannon was not needed for interceptors.
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

KJ_Lesnick

You know what would be really cool?  An F-101B Fuselage with Saab J-35 Draken Wings. 
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.