de Havilland DH.111 Viper

Started by K5054NZ, May 17, 2006, 04:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K5054NZ

Article from the Marlborough Express newspaper, Thursday June 4 2004

AIR FORCE FAREWELLS A FAVOURITE AIRCRAFT
By Zac Yates
Aviation Editor

It was a sad day for crews from 96 Squadron Royal New Zealand Air Force as their mount, the Viper jet fighter, was retired from active service yesterday at RNZAF Woodbourne.

The jet, which entered service with the RNZAF in 1970, has been New Zealand's main strike aircraft. Augmented by the Dassault Mirage fighter in 1972, the Viper bore the brunt of fighting during the 1987 "Rugby War" with Australia, carrying out numerous attack missions against Australian troop positions and ships. Today, however, the survivors of the fleet sit in the main hangar at RNZAF Woodbourne, silent until a customer can be found for the 40 year-old but capable aircraft.

Squadron Leader Tom Reynolds said that the Viper would be sorely missed in the air force, and that she had been a popular aircraft with crews.

"The Viper was an amazing aircraft to fly, so much power, quite heavy, but I loved her to bits," he said. "It's sad to see her go. Almost like losing a member of the family - I think that's how everyone in the squadron feels."

96 (Ground Attack) Squadron was formed specifically for the Viper in 1969, when young RNZAF pilots and navigators travelled to the United Kingdom to be trained on the then-new aircraft. One of those young pilots was Pilot Officer Thomas Reynolds - now the commanding officer of 96 Sqn.

The Viper's impressive service record appears to have had no effect on the Government, who have decided to retire the venerable aircraft in favour of the newer Sukhoi Flanker, a multi-role aircraft which would also replace the Mirage. The announcement of the new aircraft surprised many, who expected the American F-15 Eagle to be selected, rather than its newer Russian counterpart. The first RNZAF Flanker is expected in Auckland next week. The Russian demonstrator flew by in salute at the Viper's retirement ceremony yesterday, a touching tribute by the next generation of fighting aircraft in the RNZAF.

However, there is hope that the Viper has not permanently left New Zealand's skies. A group of enthusiasts are hoping to operate one of the Vipers as a private "warbird" on the airshow circuit. For the time being though, the skies above Marlborough are without the roar of the Viper's two mighty Avon jet engines.

GTX

Zac,

Quotethe 1987 "Rugby War" with Australia

Now there's an interesting scenario!!!

By the way - what exactly is a "Viper jet fighter"?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

K5054NZ

I;ve had the '87 Rugby War in my head for some time. Will tell more later  ;) .

The "Viper"'s parentage will become apparent in future posts. Let's just say it's the land-based, reengineered variant of a single-customer carrier-borne fighter of the 60s. My later pics will tell all!

Shasper

Ah, the hobbit has an imagination! Impressive!

Shas (who knows Zac's secret) B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Tophe

QuoteBy the way - what exactly is a "Viper jet fighter"?
from the topic title, Google finds a De Havilland (Australia) MOSQUITO T.111... :huh:
Between the DH-110 Sea-Vixen and DH-112 Sea-Venom, I hope this DH-111 is a twin-boomer... :huh:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

K5054NZ

^_^ Oh yes, she certainly is, Christophe, never fear! She is a twin boomer.

As far as I can tell, the designation DH.111 has never, ever been used. For some reason Sir Geoffrey and the Hatfield Crew skipped right over it while jumping from Vixen to Sea Venom. Bizarre..........but this can now be explained...........

Brian da Basher

Wow Zac that's some great detailing work there! Very impressive! I really like the "Rugby War" scenario you hinted at and I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of the story (and seeing the rest of this build!).

Brian da Basher

Tophe

Quote^_^ She is a twin boomer.
Smile :) , Joy :P  & Happiness :D  

GTX

Of course any Rugby War between Australia and New Zealand would have to end with peace talks in the pub and everyone getting roundly pissed and blaming the poms for the whole thing :lol: !

regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

waynos

There was a DH 111 but don't let it detract from your efforts, it was a piffling scheme to turn the Comet airliner into a bomber alongside the Valiant so it was no less of a whiff than yours is anyway  :rolleyes:  :D  

K5054NZ

Ah, sounds about right..............I've been using the Putnam DH Aircraft book by Jackson as a reference, and they seemed to skip over 111. Ah well.

So, the fuse is together, and today I'll work on the tails, wings and a longer nose.

Ya gotta love the gaps on this puppy..............ugh................updates later today.

K5054NZ

........speaking of which, here's the fuse all done. The nosecone isn't glued here, as I'm hoping to change it to something a tad more exotic.

Since this pic was taken, I've started to fill the gaps at the boom attachment points and a coupla unused pylon slots.

cthulhu77

coming along nicely, I see!  Coolness.

Tophe

Well done up to now...
Could you just explain us more the differences 111/110? (apart of RNZAF colours)

Brian da Basher

Thanks for the update, Zac! I like your progress so far and I'm looking forward to seeing your exotic nosecone enhancement.

Brian da Basher