Lockheed CL-1200 Lancer

Started by Archibald, May 23, 2006, 12:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archibald

My next project.
I bought a F-104C from Italieri (and cheap). Asked Heller exhausts and wings of an F-16. I also have the pointed nose of a Mirage F-1, and the air intakes of a Mirage 2000D
(dismantled for along time: the wings went on a Ye-152, the fuselage on a Durandal, the wheels on an ACF  the ASMP on a Rafale and the cockpit to a Mirage G)
For the camo, I don't know yet but there's various combinations possibles
- Italy
- Pakistan
- Taiwan
- Tenessee ANG (the four are from the box)
- Netherlands
- Belgium (both from my F-104G)
- Japan (from Tophe former  T-2)
What do you think about that?
I will make the new wings from cardboard (as usual) lowering the tail of course. I also have to modify the rear fuselage and air intakes (not too difficult).
I hope to start that on thursday (no work this day :) )

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

GTX

Archibald,

Looking forward to the finished product.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Tophe

Incredible (and nice!) mixing... The result may be great! while scratch-building that much seems not easy... Bon courage!
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Archibald

I started this morning... the tail was totally erased with scissors and cutter...a new fin is planned. I found a 3-view of the lancer at prototypes.com (nice website, but no longer updated from november 2005... :( )
Don't worry it's not too difficult making this plane after all it was aclose derivative of the F-104...
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Archibald

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/Arch...er/101_0402.jpg
Ok, this picture is not very good... it's the first step to the CL-1200, Ie the modifications of the rear fuselage. The fin come from a Viggen (the recon version) sanded and reduced... the exhaust is from an F-16 (thanks Heller once again)...
Here the original Lancer  

Archibald

Here's the first step to the wings...
I looked at the span of the Lancer (8m) changed that to 1/72 scale (12 cm).
Then I took the 3-view above (in WORD) an enlarged it up to 12cm. After that, just print the result...and you have amodel of the future wing.
quite surprisingly, I compared this to the wing of an "ordinary" F-104 and find that Loockheed just added the LERX and 1.50m span to the F-104 wing!!!
Just look at this photo...

GTX

Archibald,

I see you are going withthe TF-30 variant as opposed to the later F-100 variant which has different intakes:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Tophe

QuoteI took the 3-view above (in WORD) an enlarged it up to 12cm. After that, just print the result...and you have amodel of the future wing.
Nice visual demonstration :)
Now doing it in plastic with curved profile will be even harder...

Archibald

No plastic my friend, CARDBOARD. Much easier to cut and curve...
In fact I glued the "paper" wing on a cardboard sheet. Then i cut the cardboard and obtained a CL-1200 wing. Next step was to glue that to the F-104 fuselage...
This sound complicated, but well it worked perfectly.
I even obtain the marked dihedral (or anhedral)  you can see on the 3-views...
Here's some photos of the plane near finished...
The lines were made (deeply, because of the paint to come) with a pen. That's the great advantage of working with cardboard and paper...

Archibald

Apparentky they were three successives versions of the CL-1200
- the -1 had the J-79 engine
- the -2 had TF-30 or F-100 engine
- the X-27 had rectangular air intakes...
I'm more interested in the -2 version (with the P&W F-100 of the F-16)
I also extended the rear fuselage (the Lancer was longer than the F-104 by nearly 1 meter)

I thought about using the F-13 designation...  Lockheed F-13A Lancer sounds nice no? considering that the YF-12 was over at the time, the F-14 just flew, and the
F-15 was still in the future (in 1971, of course)

Archibald

Here's the Lockheed F-13A Lancer near finished...
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/Arch...00/101_0409.jpg
As you can see I "borrowed" two AIM-7 to my Phantom...
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/Arch...00/101_0408.jpg

Tophe

QuoteNo plastic my friend, CARDBOARD. Much easier to cut and curve...
In fact I glued the "paper" wing on a cardboard sheet. Then i cut the cardboard and obtained a CL-1200 wing.
Very nice result... :wub:
You give us all some hope to achieve (someday) scratch-building the way only our Masters seemed able to handle... :)
(just a question: what is in French "cardboard"? Papier-Bristol or fine-tranche-de-plastic?)

Archibald

Carton,tout simplement...from Heller Rafale A box!!!
I painted the F-13A some minutes ago. Brown and green strips above, blue below.
(the nose is black)
Once again, I think I will be...
"targeted for assasination by the JMNs". But well, I don't give a damn :P  

Archibald

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.