Tamiya

Started by matrixone, May 26, 2006, 10:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

New Tamiya, including Shizuoka announcements:

1/48 JGSDF Type 10 tank
1/35 M10 Tank Destroyer (mid-production)

1/48 Grumman F-14A (which the 'experts' are already rubbishing because it doesn't have drooped flaps/slats, ignoring that the wing is only dirty at takeoff and landing, otherwise 'tis all buttoned up)  :banghead:
https://www.facebook.com/TamiyaUSA/posts/10153760170222874

1/100 Embraer 175

1/24 Ferrari FXX K

kerick

I wish self appointed "experts" would clam up. If they want the perfect kit then they should start a model company and see how far they get before going broke. I prefer kits I can afford to buy!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

Or they should shut up and modify the kit themselves accordingly. IMHO, a "good" modeler is not restricted by OOB offerings...

NARSES2

Quote from: kerick on May 12, 2016, 07:33:34 PM
I wish self appointed "experts" would clam up. If they want the perfect kit then they should start a model company and see how far they get before going broke. I prefer kits I can afford to buy!

Yup, agree and then you need to factor enjoyability into the equation and Tamiya have never disappointed me on that score
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

This is the difference between a modeller and a kit builder.
A kit builder puts together what comes in the box.  A modeller takes whats in the box as their starting point and goes from there.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on May 13, 2016, 10:33:37 PM

.  A modeller takes whats in the box as their starting point and goes from there.

Sometimes using what's out of the box, and building something that's even FUTHER out of the box.  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

su27rules

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 14, 2016, 08:41:36 AM
Quote from: zenrat on May 13, 2016, 10:33:37 PM

.  A modeller takes whats in the box as their starting point and goes from there.

Sometimes using what's out of the box, and building something that's even FUTHER out of the box.  ;D :lol:

;) :thumbsup: :mellow:

Chris Payne

The Tamiya Tomcat has also caused a stir as you will have to buy the weapons separately, like Hasegawa.
Chris.

2014 EKFP Total = 8
2015 EKFP Total = 6
2016 EKFP Total = 2
2017 EKFP Total = 7
2018 EKFP Total = 3

elmayerle

On the other hand, there are enough Hasegawa 1/48 weapons sets out there to do a stock F-14 or a variety of whif variants (thinking of a USMC dual-role one at a minimum, though one in JASDF markings sounds good, too).  One of the most subtle whifs would be to replace the TF30 exhausts with those of an early F15 F100 with "turkey feathers", the 2 inch difference in diameter between the F100 and F401 isn't going to be noticeable and you'll be able to do a F-14B as originally planned (yes, I am gathering the bits for this one).
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

kerick

Maybe we should all chip in and buy the "experts" some razor saws and hobby knives!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

KiwiZac

I like that Tamiya's doing a new 1/100 kit, and that it's an airliner. Have they made one before?
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

PR19_Kit

Quote from: KiwiZac on May 17, 2016, 02:50:31 PM
I like that Tamiya's doing a new 1/100 kit, and that it's an airliner. Have they made one before?

I don't think so, all their previous 1/100 scale stuff have been military types.

They won't get much praise from most airliner modellers though, 1/144 would have been a much more popular scale. or they should have bit the size bullet and went for 1/72.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

jcf

There are quite a few 1/100 scale desktop quickbuild/pre-built airliners in the collector model
arena, remember modelbuilders are not the only model market, including a 1/100 A380.  ;D

Tamiya's Space Shuttle is 1/100 and as they've never done a 1/144 or 1/200 kit the scale choice makes
sense for the company.

PR19_Kit

What I said was 'They won't get much praise from most airliner modellers though'.......

Regards
Kit

Green Dragon

The latest Tamiya Model Magazine explains the odd scale for the Embraer, they were commisioned by Fuji Dream Airlines in 2009 to do a finished desk top style model to promote the new airline based in Shizuoka. Now they are releasing it as a kit with ten Fuji Dream Airlines planes as the decal options. Might get some for some whatiffery.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)