Tamiya

Started by matrixone, May 26, 2006, 10:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Many WWI pics show the Tommies wearing peaked hats similar to the one the officer is wearing rather than tin hats maybe?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 10, 2014, 05:48:12 AM
Figures are interesting. However they don't look quite right to me, not sure what it is but there's something not right ? Weathering them will be even more interesting.

Late war soldiers and an early war officer's uniform?  The soldiers look about 1917 onwards while the officer looks about 1916 at most.  1917 saw the introduction of "pips" on the epaulettes for officer rank, rather than the stripes/pips on the sleeve.   Need loads of mud to make them look "right".

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

jcf

It appears that the Y-Sprue of the kit includes optional headgear.

Aircav

They look really nice in the plastic, saw them last week and by all acounts they 3D scanned the people for the figure masters.
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

zenrat

Is that Captain Darling?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

Quote from: Aircav on August 11, 2014, 02:22:24 AM
They look really nice in the plastic, saw them last week and by all acounts they 3D scanned the people for the figure masters.

They look better posed and the faces more realistic than most figures.  Tempting, tempting....

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: zenrat on August 11, 2014, 03:02:29 AM
Is that Captain Darling?

i was wondering that myself. though shouldn't the figure has red general staff tabs on the collar?  ;D folk were
talking about this set at the avon show yesterday though i didn't see any for sale.
Keeper of George the Cat.

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on August 10, 2014, 04:53:03 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on August 10, 2014, 05:48:12 AM
Figures are interesting. However they don't look quite right to me, not sure what it is but there's something not right ? Weathering them will be even more interesting.

Late war soldiers and an early war officer's uniform?  The soldiers look about 1917 onwards while the officer looks about 1916 at most.  1917 saw the introduction of "pips" on the epaulettes for officer rank, rather than the stripes/pips on the sleeve.   Need loads of mud to make them look "right".

I think the officer's rank stripes is part of it as is the lack of mud and muck. Overall though I think it's the fact that they are wearing full regulation kit and wearing it according to the regulations ! Plus the biggie is the lack of unit/divisional markings and personal ones - wound stripes/service stripes etc, makes the uniforms look to tidy.

It would have been nice to have had one figure with the ubiquitous leather jerkin as well.

Still I may indulge  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

I think your right Chris, it's unusual to see the chest pouch worn.  Also, the crouched firing pose is not what I'm used to seeing from WWI footage.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mossie on August 11, 2014, 08:04:30 AM
Also, the crouched firing pose is not what I'm used to seeing from WWI footage.

Ah yes, I know what that guy reminds me of, it's the classic kneeling position from a '3 position' target shooting competition. In my shooting days I used to find that pretty comfortable and quite accurate too, whereas the sitting positon was damned UN-comfortable by comparison.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Aircav

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 11, 2014, 12:14:59 PM

Ah yes, I know what that guy reminds me of, it's the classic kneeling position from a '3 position' target shooting competition. In my shooting days I used to find that pretty comfortable and quite accurate too, whereas the sitting positon was damned UN-comfortable by comparison.

Sittings ok as long as you use a sling. :-)
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Aircav on August 11, 2014, 01:52:57 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 11, 2014, 12:14:59 PM

Sittings ok as long as you use a sling. :-)

I ALWAYS used a sling but I still found it uncomfortable, too hunched for me.

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Having a dickie knee from a motorcyle accident in my late teens, I've always found kneeling uncomfortable (put paid to my career as an Altar Boy ;)  ).  As a consequence I've always found the sitting position more comfortable.  Never used a sling as downunder we're discouraged from having it on our rifles except when crossing obstacles (makes too much noise and can snag on branches, etc.).

I agree, Chris a Jerkin would have been nice.  I wonder if the pouches and straps are moulded separately?

Old Wombat

Quote from: rickshaw on August 11, 2014, 05:30:57 PM
I wonder if the pouches and straps are moulded separately?

With Tamiya that's probably a "yes" for the pouches, but probably not for the straps. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Captain Canada

Those look awesome !

:tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?