RNZAF F-2B

Started by david sMiGielski, May 26, 2006, 06:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david sMiGielski

8 May 2019—Somewhere in Northern Australia (New Zealand Herald)

New Zealand's 75 Squadron scored its first kill of the war last night when an RNZAF F-2 shot down two Caliphate SU-27 fighters off the northern coast of Australia. Aircraft from Australia, New Zealand, and the United States are involved in massive battles with the Caliphate as both sides attempt to gain superiority over the Timor and Arafura Seas.

Postscript:

This F-2B from the RNZAF's 75  Squadron was part of New Zealand's contribution to the Coalition defense of Northern Australia. Aircraft #202 carried on its tail the insignia of the RAAF 75 Squadron; an homage to past, present, and future New Zealand-Australia cooperation. This particular aircraft was involved in the coastal defense of Australia and was reponsible for the sinking of 3 Caliphate surface ships and a submarine. The aircraft would down 5 Caliphate fighters and participate in dozens of attack missions (often at night) by the war's end.

The F-2 continues to serve in the RNZAF, with two-seat airframes dedicated to the advanced nightfighter/bomber role. 75 Squadron continues to serve in the defense of New Zealand and her allies and a number of F-2s are currently stationed with the Squadron's EF-2000Ks as part of Allied Occupation Forces in South Asia.

Aircraft of the Pacific War by James Ettilson, © Bainbridge Press, 2031  
How did the country lose its way...when did we stop rooting for the man with a flame-thrower or an acid-spraying gun of some kind?

david sMiGielski

Some technical data on the model:

Hasegawa's 1/48 F-2B built almost straight from the box (the pitot tube was made using a sewing needle). Camo was painted using Tamiya acrylics through a Badger 200. Markings are from the Gekko Graphics A-4 sheet. AMRAAMs and tanks were from a Hasegawa F-16CJ kit. ASRAAMs were scratchbuilt. SLAM-ERs are by SOL.

The "just barely finished" part: The modeling gods were not smiling on me this afternoon. The clear flat produced a worn, dusty look. Nice if I was building a Panzer, awful for the pride of the RNZAF. As if that wasn't bad enough, I managed to drop the stupid thing while trying to fix the finish. All stores were jettisoned, as were the landing gear, the pitot tube, and any cathartic value this hobby might have. A break for dinner, some beer, and my wife's words of encouragement led to a semi-quick trip to the repair shop along with a semi-gloss clear coat (I'm never going back to dead flat again). After all of that, it looks pretty good save for some scratches on the wing. We'll pretend that's what-if battle damage.

How did the country lose its way...when did we stop rooting for the man with a flame-thrower or an acid-spraying gun of some kind?

cthulhu77

Damn Skippy!  If that is battleworn, mine must be trashed!  That jet is the "bomb"! :wub:  

Gary F

David,

Glad to see the F-2 finished.  Really nice job.  Thanks for sharing it.  Definitely makes me want to get mine finished.

regards,

NARSES2

Stunning sir  :wub:  
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nev

Wow, F-16s don't float my boat, but this is gorgeous!  :wub:  Top marks!
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

gooberliberation

I dont even like Mitsu F-2s, but I LOVE this one :wub:  
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Brian da Basher

Wow absolutely gorgeous in that camo & Kiwi roundels!  :wub:

Brian da Basher

lancer

Oh she is gorgeous David. Best looking F2/F16 I've ever seen.  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

wolfik

worth seeing mate! B)
GROSSE ANERKENNUNG!!!!! :cheers:

peter

wolfik

ah....and....boski  model  :D  

Scooterman

Worthy of my 1000th post.........

WOW!!![/size]

John Howling Mouse

Wow, I mean really: WOW!!
Eye-poppin' good stuff there, David!

:wub:  :wub:  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Captain Canada

Cool ! Lovely paint job, cool story, and an absolute wicked weapons load !

:wub:

Give us a few tips on your scratch built missiles, eh ? And SOL ?  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Jeffry Fontaine

Looking at that and the first thing that comes to mind is what would it look like with the avionics hump from the Brakeet and the conformal fuel tanks on the upper fuselage.  Maybe that can be V.2.0....

Looks good and the SLAM-ER are a very nice touch.  
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg