RAF Starfighter anybody ??

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, May 29, 2006, 05:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian the Kiwi Herder

This one will be the 'Last of the British Starfighters.....' An F3 with a Spey engine, AMRAAM capability and the full ECM update.

There'll be two more, a VERY early one in glossy camo and a TAC-R one in RAFG wraparound.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Captain Canada

RAF Starfighter on the title.....and nothing but sprues in the pics !

Get to work....on all three......NOW ! Especially the F.3. Really looking forward to seeing that one. And the early gloss camo bird....well,okay, all three !

104s and roundels.....the only way to fly !

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Scooterman

Somebody beat me to it!!! :angry:

I'll race ya to the finish IHG!

nev

Y'know for such a naff plane, the F-104 really does look the business  :wub:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Ian the Kiwi Herder

QuoteRAF Starfighter on the title.....and nothing but sprues in the pics !

Ahhhh c'mon, Toad, I know the second photo is a wee bit out of focus but surely you can see the (minutes of) work I put-in on the ECM pod !!  :lol:

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

Ian the Kiwi Herder

QuoteI'll race ya to the finish IHG!
You've already won, Scooterdude !

I don't do racing anymores. More important to me to get the thing to look right than get the thing on the shelf/internet. And besides, I still haven't decided how/where to add the tail ECM pod - will prolly be under the (Fujimi) afterburner can.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

Gary F

Hi IHG,

I just came on here today to look for stuff about RAF Starfighter ideas!  I had to dig some stuff deep out of the closet and somehow an F-104C got left out when I put stuff away.  Got to looking at it ... it's got some of the basic early work done on it ... and I thought, hmmm, how about RAF?
 So, what are you going to do to RAF-it up on yours? ... I'm kinda short on ideas except maybe those rectangular fairings that seem to be on the vert fins of so many British planes?  And maybe a more British seat ...
 I'm working from a 48th C model and plan to use IFR probe, belly twin Sidewinder rack, and then either tip tanks and maybe midwing racks with some missiles, or tip AIM 9's and mid wing fuel tanks ... either way I've got to scratch the mid wing pylons.  Don't know squat about units that might have flown them ... thinking of looking for some Lightning markings maybe??  Any ideas out there ....

regards,
Gary F

GTX

Ian,

To RAFize your Starfighter you could add some SkyFlash AAMs in a similar fashion to the way the Italians fitted theirs with Aspide:

If you were interested in something other than the standard Air-to-air role, you could look at either a Maritime Strike bird fitted with a pair of Sea Eagle ASMs (similar to the German F-104Gs with Komoran ASMs) or perhaps a ground attack bird fitted with either Martel, British Cluster bombs or similar.

As to the airframe itself, you could replace the M-61 rotary cannon with one or two 30mm Aden cannon or perhaps fit a Marconi RWR to the tail fin similar to the fitting on the Jags:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Ian the Kiwi Herder

QuoteHi IHG,
So, what are you going to do to RAF-it up on yours? ... I'm kinda short on ideas except maybe those rectangular fairings that seem to be on the vert fins of so many British planes?  And maybe a more British seat ...

Don't know squat about units that might have flown them ... thinking of looking for some Lightning markings maybe??  ,

Gary F
Gary

This one is going to be built as a VERY late RAF F3, therefore in my fevered imagination it will have ALL the mods possible - just before it's retired.

Seat - MB10A (Aeroclub white metal)

ECM pod covering front & rear aspect scratchbuilt from plastic-card

RR Spey engine - Afterburner can from Fujimi FGR2 perhaps scratchbuild some sort of auxilliary intake ??

Weapons - Wingtip AMRAAMs with 'Winders just inboard then fuel bags

Colours/Markings - Sea Grey/Barley Grey/Lt A/c Grey.... I'm gonna keep the squadron a secret for now, but it was/is and ex-Lightning unit  :ph34r:

HTH

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

NARSES2

Ian everythings so neat and tidy, puts me to shame  :(  Please tell me however that it's a new cutting board, you can't keep them pristine for long it's impossible - isn't it ??

Nice series of builds coming along take it the move went ok ?

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

elmayerle

For the inlets, consider a set of blow-in doors much like the Harrier has.  *smile* That's by far the simplest approach.  For a more challenging one, space the inlet out from the fuselage to make a larger inlet and then re-fair it into the Starfighter's lines.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Jeffry Fontaine

Installing the Spey in the F-104 sounds like a real engineering challenge.  Would it be necessary to keep the shock cones in the intakes if you switched to the Spey or move the shock cone to the front of the turbine face instead?  
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

elmayerle

QuoteInstalling the Spey in the F-104 sounds like a real engineering challenge.  Would it be necessary to keep the shock cones in the intakes if you switched to the Spey or move the shock cone to the front of the turbine face instead?
You'd still need the shock cones in the intakes to slow the air before it got to the front face of the fan.  You'd just have more air you'd need to slow.

Archibald

Why not simply modifying the F-13A Lancer with the Spey engine (instead of the J-79, TF-30 or P&W F-100) ? :P  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

elmayerle

QuoteWhy not simply modifying the F-13A Lancer with the Spey engine (instead of the J-79, TF-30 or P&W F-100) ? :P
'Twould work, though I'd base it off the rather later and more potent TF41 version of the Spey (which was demonstrating 26,000 lbt. in afterburner in the late 1960s).