Douglas B-42 and B-43

Started by Archibald, June 05, 2006, 07:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archibald

http://www.anigrand.com/AA2031_XB-42.htm

Well this was aparently a very good, fast bomber ( A-26 Invader replacement?)  killed by the end of WWII.
Just imagined it wasn't the case... some whatifs around it!!!
Why not a post-war career similar to the B-26 Invader? It started in 1946, and ended in 1974 in San salvador...
- B-42 in Korea
- French  B-42 in Indochina
- Turboprop B-42 (with the Mamba of the Fairey Gannet!)
- COIN B-42K in VietNam (with a pile of rockets and bombs underwings)
- Firefighter B-42 in the 90's (!)
- ASW B-42 for USMC, USN or even US Coast Guards
- RB-42
- B-42 Bussiness plane (before the first jets, in the 50's, ala Howard 500)
- B-42 worlwide (including some South american shemes, late 60's)
If you have other ideas...  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

jcf

The jet-powered B-43 development would have been the more likely production version.

Although the XB-42A with the underwing podded engines is also a possibility.

More here:
B-42/B-43 at Protoypes.com

Cheers, Jon

Archibald

Eeeeeeeeerh... we all know that piston-engines resisted turbojets (on the bombers) up to the beginning of the 50's. More, the XB-43 was underpowered...So why not keep on with the B-42 up to the late 70's?  
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

B777LR

This one screems to be used in vietnam, and not to forget those beutiful SEA schemes!
Shame the kit is so expensive (for me it is)

:cheers:  

Archibald

For me, too.. must restrict to 2 or 3 anigrand kits (Skylancer, Crusader III and maybe Avenger II)
I think, too about a XB-42 in vietnam with a turboprop. I think about something like the B-26K, Cavalier Enforcer or OV-10 Bronco (Ie FAC, light attack, tarhet marker and the like), and tons of bomb racks underwings (and wingtips fuel tanks :), I forgot that!!!)

Tophe, as usual you are brilliant :) A twin B-42 is much more efficient than a Liberator, that's sure!!!  

jcf

QuoteEeeeeeeeerh... we all know that piston-engines resisted turbojets (on the bombers) up to the beginning of the 50's. More, the XB-43 was underpowered...So why not keep on with the B-42 up to the late 70's?
Only true of heavy bombers, light and medium bombers quickly became jet-powered.

Ar-234...1944.

B-45...begun in 1944, first flight 1947.

B-47...begun in 1944, first flight 1947.

Canberra...begun 1945, first flight 1949.

Il-28...first flight 1948.

As to being "underpowered"...what jet aircraft of the period wasn't underpowered?
Later in its life one of the B-43's J35 engines was replaced with a J47...why not a completr re-enginning with J47s? Plenty of power then.

Even being underpowered the B-43 was faster than the B-42.

Anyhow seeing was this is all fiction anyhow...why not both types but performing different missions?

While thousands of the basic V-1710 engines were available on the surplus market I have to wonder how that unique V-1710-125 engine and extended drive-shaft arrangement would have done in service.

Cheers, Jon

elmayerle

Twin-Allisons replaced by a XT40 (testbed only) and a T54 (prototype and production)?  T54 is to the T56 as the XT40 is to the XT38.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Archibald

In fact I wanted a thread about the XB-42, not the XB-43. that's why I didn't considered the latter...Elmayerle, I like the idea of a turboprop powered B-42. I was thinking about that for the 60's (like the cavalier Enforcer) but your idea is cool! There's plenty of things to do with the B-42 in the postwar era (as with the
B-26 Invader )  

NARSES2

Well I've done my XB-42 in USAAF SW Pacific markings and Mike McEvoy did one as a USAAF B26 replacement in NM, one as French B-26 replacement in black/white maritime finish and a B-43 in SEA finish - lovely looking airplane
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Archibald

cooooooool!!! Do you have any photos of these lovely models?  

NARSES2

Here's Mike's French one

French Mixmaster

And here's my USSAF one

USAAF

Both on Martins site
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Archibald

This is simply superb....!!!!!!

Alvis 3.1

Add U2 wings and make it Photo Recon?

ok...my solution to EVERYTHING is to add U2 wings!

Alvis 3.1

jcf

QuoteAdd U2 wings and make it Photo Recon?

ok...my solution to EVERYTHING is to add U2 wings!

Alvis 3.1
With 1/48th scale P-38 turbo-superchargers inset into the the top of the fuselage...need BIG turbos for high-altitude.

Cheers, Jon