Messerschmitt Me-110K

Started by TomZ, June 05, 2006, 11:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

In 1944 the Luftwaffe was desperately seeking a potent weapon against the ever increasing stream of US bombers flying over Germany. They turned to the Me-110 and equiped it with 37mm canon. Although it packed a powerful punch, it was seriously underpowered. To remedy this a Me-110 was equiped with a thrird engine in the nose.

In practice the third engine added little power as the slipstream from the central propeller disrupted the airflow through the outboard ones. Also the extra weight cancelled out most of the extra power.

Tom
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Tophe

Won-der-ful! :wub:  :wub:  :wub:
Just: could you tell us more: is this an unbuilt actual project of the Messerscmitt team, or else: an idea from your nice imagination? In either way, it would be great, and greatly built as well... :)  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

RotorheadTX

Excellent!! Fabulous work on the painting!!

cthulhu77

Stupendous genius in action.  Wonderful idea...never would have occured to me, and knowing how whacky those nutzis were, perfectly plausible.
       hats off, and :cheers: !
            greg

Brian da Basher

Wow that's one beautiful trimotor Messerschmitt there Tom! I really like this one a lot!

Brian da Basher

P.S. I like yours better than mine in 1/144...

Sisko

Fantastic I ahve always been attracted to the Idea of making a heavy bomber fromt the 110.

You model give sme some idea.

Great build and welcome back it's been awhile.
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

matrixone

Tom,

Cool idea and a great model too!

I am also kit bashing a Bf 110, mine will be a 'special attack night bomber' and marked as an a/c based on the Eastern front.

Matrixone  

Tophe

QuoteP.S. I like yours better than mine in 1/144...
Congratulations too, Brian! :wub:
Have you presented this marvel somewhere or was it kept secret till today?

Allan

Simply wonderful, Zuid
Allan in Canberra

Brian da Basher

QuoteP.S. I like yours better than mine in 1/144...
Congratulations too, Brian! :wub:
Have you presented this marvel somewhere or was it kept secret till today?
I thought I'd posted my little 1/144 version before, but maybe I got shy seeing the poor quality of the photo. It's part of the ceiling fleet, and I'm loath to take them down for pics once they're up there!

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Tophe. :)

Brian da Basher

Tophe

Back to Zuid's model, I have twinned it with a smile into a light 6-engined fighter, see http://www.whatifmodelers.com/forum//index...60&#entry145425

NARSES2

Now put that in Italian markings and you've got a "double-glancer"

Tremendous stuff
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Brian da Basher

QuoteBack to Zuid's model, I have twinned it with a smile into a light 6-engined fighter, see http://www.whatifmodelers.com/forum//index...60&#entry145425
A "light" six-engined fighter?  :rolleyes: Tophe my friend, I raise my glass to your genius!  :cheers:

Brian da Basher

Tophe

QuoteA "light" six-engined fighter?
I was meaning:
- the leading 6-engined planes are the B-36 and An-225 (both fighters with the proper air-air missiles... what-if :wacko: ), so this is light in comparison.
- for 1943 6-engined, a Zwilling Ju-52/3m or Bv 138Z or Sparviero Bifusoliera (see http://www.whatifmodelers.com/forum//index...60&#entry145551 ) would be far more heavy
Even for the basic 3-engined, Zuid's 110K :wub:  is very light for such power, compared to Ju 52/3m, Bv138, Sparviero (while each of them could have been a fighter - against airships - with a turret on top :wacko: ).
No?

TomZ

Guys,

Thanks for all your comments. This is not an actual project (as far as I know) but purely a product of my sick mind and two old Matchbox kits.

Tom
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency