Hawker Typhoon, Tempest, and Sea Fury

Started by Gary, August 15, 2005, 12:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James W.

A reality-based what if ( that  is, it was paper only - but official, the Hawker drawings are still in existence - in the UK National Archive at Kew) Typhoon..

There were hopes that in USA, Chrysler would build the Sabre, & Bell the Typhoon, to be fitted with a G.E turbo, sited in the thick wing root..

In the event Chrysler farted about with their own V16,  while mass-producing the Wright R-3350 for the B-29 program, & Stalin kept Bell busy with P-39s..

The Wooksta!

Quote from: James W. on May 09, 2017, 12:53:17 AM
Anyone done &/or seen a Fury with Sea Hawk straight taper outer wings & tail plane - grafted on?

Not yet, but give me time.

As for the Kora conversions.  I have a pair of each but when I get round to doing them?  Pass.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

James W.

You could do both at once W, if time is of the essence..

Edit:& FYI, by "both" - I mean both sets of grafting, 'knob nose' & straight flying surfaces - on the one Fury..

The Wooksta!

By time, I meant when I get round to them - I don't think you realise just how many part started projects and complete but only primed airframes I have lying around.  ;D  Martin does, although he's a year or so out of date.

I'd use a PM kit but use the Frog/Novo Seahawk for the wings, largely because they're relatively clean.  High altitude Fury?  Then I thought about putting said outer wing onto a Tempest II...

I really fancy the Typhoon first, although I'll have to do some moulding.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

James W.

Then W, I'd suggest you use the 'on hand' KORA  Sabre Tempest nose as a template for the Typhoon, since the Herc' cowl is not truly dimensionally correct..

The Wooksta!

Quote from: James W. on May 09, 2017, 04:15:27 AM
Then W, I'd suggest you use the 'on hand' KORA  Sabre Tempest nose as a template for the Typhoon, since the Herc' cowl is not truly dimensionally correct..

Having just dug out the relevant Tempest conversion, I compared it to the Magna Freighter engine and the latter is close enough.  Besides, the Kora one is the prototype Tempest, not the Typhoon and who's to say any production version would be identical?  :mellow:

I mean, the Tempest II prototype has a car door canopy, not the bubble of the production.  Any resulting annular Typhoon that I do will be based on the new Airfix kit, with the big tailplanes and loaded with bombs.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

James W.

Ah, Napier would, rather than Bristol.. the Sabre was interchangeable between Typhoon & Tempest/Fury..
( in fact, the trick, specially hand-fettled Sabre that crashed in the Heston-racer then went into a service Typhoon, & I bet the Wingco Flying scored it!)

Surviving service Typhoons, along with the Tempest prototypes - were indeed, factory 'refurbished' - with the 4-blade prop/bubble canopy/thin tail planes..

James W.

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 19, 2016, 06:12:56 AM

...but maybe with a Centaurus instead of the Sabre. Somehow I can't see the FAA loving the complexities of the Sabre all that much.

Actually PR, that "complexities" thing is a bit of a myth.. there are 'multiplicities' for sure, but that aint quite the same thing..
..in many ways the sleeve valve engines were less complex, & with fewer 'nuts 'n' bolts' to fettle..

& if the FAA could cope with the  'in your face' - 'horological' level of multiplicity of the Bristol engines, the Sabre would be no problem..

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ysi_maniac

Hawker Sea Fury equiped with Hs293. Two different locations. Aft seat is for bomb operator. Not in constant scale however; bomb has been reduced to 75%. So a new reduced Hs293 equivalent must be developed.

Will die without understanding this world.

KJ_Lesnick

GTX,

QuoteWhat scale?  You could possibly use it as a starting point to do a R2800 variant of the CA-15:
Actually, the original plan did involve an R-2800 in the design...

Quoteeven the Bristol Centaurus powered version I had in Southern Sea Eagles - The Alternative RAN FAA:

Oh, I like the Centaurus powered design
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

rickshaw

GTX no longer posts here.  Try over at BTS.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Urgent question folks:

The Airfix 1/72nd Typhoon includes an optional piece that goes on the fuselage behind the radiator cowling, with no explanation of what it is. it's wedge-shaped, and appears to have louvre-vents along it's bottom/back edge. Does anyone know what it is and under what circumstances it was fitted? Thanks in advance.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Wooksta!

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan: