Hawker Typhoon, Tempest, and Sea Fury

Started by Gary, August 15, 2005, 12:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damian2

Sorry to hijack here, but what would you guys think it will take to turn a Sea Fury into a lighter, faster "Sandy" for the USAF?
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

elmayerle

{cynicism} A US production line and manufacturer to sell it to the USAF{/cynicism}
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

lancer

Quote{cynicism} A US production line and manufacturer to sell it to the USAF{/cynicism}
Cynic!!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Damian2

Quote{cynicism} A US production line and manufacturer to sell it to the USAF{/cynicism}
:lol:  :lol:  
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

elmayerle

{cynicsm} I rather suspect locating your construction facility in the District of an influential Representative and the state of an influential senator would also help.{/cynicism}

"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Spellbinder99

Anyone have links to Tempest or Typhoon floatplanes or indeed folded wing carrier versions that people have built? I currently have a Tempest floatplane and a folded wing Typhoon I am fiddling wing and I am trying to get some ideas.....
Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Tony

Martin H

there is this one i found on the IPMS Brampton stand at the 2004 Horncurch Show.
Its based on the drawings for the real sea typhoon proposal.

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

kitnut617

I have a 3-view drawing of the proposed Sea Typhoon, got it from the Brooklands Museum sometime ago.  The wing span was greatly increased by adding a large parallel section from the wing root to about where the normal u/c was mounted, then IIRC the regular wing was attached from there. And the wheel retraction was reversed so it folded outward as shown in Martin' pic.  The new wing inner sections were to hold fuel tanks for the range required by the RN. The wing folded from just outside of the u/c leg and was similar to how Fireflys had their wings fold.

There was a discussion earlier this year about putting floats on a Typhoon/Tempest, I worked out that the floats would have to be quite large as the all up weight of a Typhoon is about the same as a Blenhiem, here's some pics of the Blenhiem to give you an idea:

here's my conversion, the floats I'm building follow a 3-view drawing I got of the Blenhiem from John Adams (Aeroclub)

Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

I had a bit of luck, just now rumaging through some of my model boxes I found my folder of drawings and there was the Sea Typhoon drawing:

dogsbody

This has been scanned from Francis K. Mason's book on the Typhoon/Tempest.

"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

kitnut617

QuoteThis has been scanned from Francis K. Mason's book on the Typhoon/Tempest.
I think that's where the Brooklands Museum scanned my copy from too  ^_^  

Martin H

QuoteThat would have been an impressive size but very likely a horrible performer, given that the Typhoon was sluggish at altitude and a larger wing at low level means it'll be sluggish.  I wouldn't want to ditch it in the drink either with that big radiator scoop as you'd go under very quickly, if not cartwheel.  

To top it off, the Sabre was a temperamental engine with very close tolerances, not the type of thing you want on a carrier, swapping out bits from wrecked aircraft to keep others flying.
Most likly why it never left the drawing board.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

GTX

On the Floatplane front, there was this Hawker 'Monsoon' by Tory Mucaro:

See more here.

As for carrier based Tempests, I agree with the idea of merging some bits from a Sea Fury onto a Tempest.  The result should be interesting.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Spellbinder99

Thanks guys, all valuable stuff. I have gone with a twin float setup on the Tempest using the cleaned up floats from a Kooperative issue of the (I assume) Frog Swordfish kit.
Biggest job was fitting and filling the undercarriage doors on the Academy kit I am using as they are not a great fit closed.
Incidentally I wanted to fit some larger underwing tanks for a bit of range extension and am using the ones from the Trumpeter Sea Fury. I am wondering Wooksta, they certainly look very large for a Sea Fury, are they indeed too big?

The flipside of converting the Tempest to a floatplane is the undercarriage becomes surplus and looks just right for replacing the undersized Trumpeter legs. The overall design and detail look right for the job.

The Typhoon I have done a Seafire style vertical fold on with downward folding tips and a stinger style arrestor hook.

Cheers

Tony

kitnut617

The comment about the oversized tanks is interesting because recently I got this accessory from the Hannants Second Hand bin, it was advertised as 1/72 Sea Fury Drop Tanks.

On receiving them my first thought was 'Oh Sh#t it's 1/48th' but then looking at the drawing on the instruction card it looks like they are large tanks.  They are definitely bigger than any of the tanks I have on my Sea Furys.  

Any comments anyone? The scale is in mm's BTW

Robert