Hawker Typhoon, Tempest, and Sea Fury

Started by Gary, August 15, 2005, 12:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

This Fiat (from Expo - what inspired the discussion) looks to be a full size one.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on June 17, 2016, 03:42:44 AM
Comrade Harps and I were discussing the feasibility of a torpedo carrying Typhoon whilst at Expo last weekend.
Obviously slung at a downward pointing angle to clear the radiator.

Thoughts?

Why angle it down? :-\

I'd just snuggle it in behind the radiator to minimise drag. You wouldn't lose enough air flow through the radiator to worry about, especially with the reduced workload on the engine as opposed to with the torpedo hanging fully into the slip-stream.

The Tiffy is almost 32' long & the 18" Mk. XV is barely more than 17' long. So it's doable but you might need quite a long-ish tail wheel extension.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

jcf

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 17, 2016, 09:54:08 AM
Comrade Harps and I were discussing the feasibility of a torpedo carrying Typhoon whilst at Expo last weekend.

Thoughts?

I'd just snuggle it in behind the radiator to minimise drag. You wouldn't lose enough air flow through the radiator to worry about, especially with the reduced workload on the engine as opposed to with the torpedo hanging fully into the slip-stream.

The Tiffy is almost 32' long & the 18" Mk. XV is barely more than 17' long. So it's doable but you might need quite a long-ish tail wheel extension.

You might have a clean release problem if the nose of the torpedo is tucked in behind the radiator housing.

kitnut617

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 17, 2016, 09:54:08 AM

Thoughts?

Really all you need to do is give the Typhoon a Tempest Mk.I cowling and leading edge radiators   ;) ;) ;)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

A Sea Typhoon was designed (no idea if they'd have slung a torpedo under it however) would have had longer wings = was PR19 involved ?

Seen a couple of nice models of it as various shows
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

All good stuff and all being taken on board.

Thanks.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 18, 2016, 05:05:19 AM
A Sea Typhoon was designed (no idea if they'd have slung a torpedo under it however) would have had longer wings = was PR19 involved ?

3-View of it I got from the Brooklands Museum  (EDIT: come to think of it, I think Phil Butler sent it to me)

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 18, 2016, 05:05:19 AM

A tad before my time I think, but I'm glad to see 'The True Stuff' was already under way even then.  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

dogsbody

Quote from: dogsbody on December 08, 2007, 10:52:12 AM
This has been scanned from Francis K. Mason's book on the Typhoon/Tempest.

I posted this on Page 2 of this topic, back in 2007

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

PR19_Kit

Did anyone on here ever build a Sea Typhoon as shown above?

It's an interesting looking design, especially with the outward retracting main gear. It looks as if the longer wings  ;D were more for making room for larger fuel tanks than for any aerodynamic advantage. A later bubble canopy version would look good too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 19, 2016, 02:13:13 AM

It's an interesting looking design, especially with the outward retracting main gear. It looks as if the longer wings  ;D were more for making room for larger fuel tanks than for any aerodynamic advantage. A later bubble canopy version would look good too.

No idea Kit although its on my "to do" list

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Martin H

Quote from: Gondor on June 19, 2016, 02:29:08 AM

No idea Kit although its on my "to do" list

Gondor

Its been done once to my knowlege. A gent by the name of George Munroe from IPMS Brampton built it years ago. It did a few shows on his club stand, then disapeared from view. I have one photo of it in my files from the 2004 Hornechurch show.

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Martin H on June 19, 2016, 05:52:21 AM

Its been done once to my knowlege. A gent by the name of George Munroe from IPMS Brampton built it years ago. It did a few shows on his club stand, then disapeared from view. I have one photo of it in my files from the 2004 Hornechurch show.

Thanks OGL, that's pretty much how I figured it would look in bubble canopy form.

It's very impressive, in model form and in RW. It would have made a good replacement for the Firebrand perhaps, but maybe with a Centaurus instead of the Sabre. Somehow I can't see the FAA loving the complexities of the Sabre all that much.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

dogsbody

Back in the late 90's, I discovered a small hobbyshop in downtown Edmonton and on display inside was a 1/48 scale SeaTyphoon that someone had built. Unfortunately, a year or so later, on my next trip into the city, the shop was no longer there. As this was pre-cellphone, I didn't get a picture.

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"