Hawker Typhoon, Tempest, and Sea Fury

Started by Gary, August 15, 2005, 12:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Yep - just found it on my 2nd read through the Wiki page.... :rolleyes:

It's a tropical filter, fitted to Typhoons from roughly June 1944, due to the dust and debris encountered on rough fields in France post-D-Day. I thought it might be such a thing, but since only three Typhoons made it to the Middle East for trials, I didn't know under what circumstances it was fitted.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

That's it  :thumbsup:

Quite a common fit once they got to Normandy.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Random idea: Brengun do a Typhoon Mk.1A with car-door cockpit and 12 x .303 Brownings. Why not blank off some of the MG holes and fit it with 2 x Vickers 40mm K guns as per the anti-tank Hurricane? For a backstory, maybe the North African campaign went on a bit longer and/or the Typhoon was developed a bit faster, and it went into service as a replacement for the Hurricane IID?

Hmmm Hannants Have AZ's 40mm-armed Hurricane Mk.IV and Mk.V on sale at the moment... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

I have plans and the parts for one  :thumbsup:

One of the last Tempest V's was fitted with 2 x 40mm P guns in very streamlined fairings. Trials only though.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ysi_maniac

A question. Were the Hawker Typhoon (wwii) wings surface made of wood?

Thanks.
Will die without understanding this world.

The Wooksta!

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

ysi_maniac

... and aft fuselage, with those staples?
Will die without understanding this world.

kitnut617

None of the Typhoon was build out of wood, the staples you refer to Carlos are reinforcing plates (aluminum) that were added after they discovered that the tail was coming off at the tail assembly joint after a rash of un-explained crashes.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

zenrat

reinforcing.

<pedant mode off>

Sorry, can't help it.  Don't take it personally.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitnut617

Quote from: zenrat on August 11, 2018, 05:11:44 AM
reinforcing.

<pedant mode off>

Sorry, can't help it.  Don't take it personally.

:-X        ;D

NARSES2

Been musing on the Airfix 1/72 kit in the stash, or one of them anyway, and that got me wondering if it would be possible for a Tiffie to carry both bombs and rockets ? Perhaps a pair of 250lb bombs plus two rockets per wing outside of the bomb racks ? Might make an interesting looking combination and might end up in RAF service that way.

perttime

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 22, 2020, 06:15:46 AM
Been musing on the Airfix 1/72 kit in the stash, or one of them anyway, and that got me wondering if it would be possible for a Tiffie to carry both bombs and rockets ? Perhaps a pair of 250lb bombs plus two rockets per wing outside of the bomb racks ? Might make an interesting looking combination and might end up in RAF service that way.
Possible? Probably.
Practical? Not so much.

I was reading some Typhoon articles yesterday, and one thing that struck me was that they soon decided to let each SQUADRON focus on either rockets or bombs. Not both. Apparently, they got significantly better hits when the pilot could focus on one method of delivering the goods.

They did carry drop tanks and 2 rockets per wing when more range was needed.

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 22, 2020, 06:15:46 AM

I did one of my Typhoons like that Chris, mainly because I had seen a photo of one showing just that. Now the 'little grey cells' tell me it might have been for training purposes ---- but when has that ever stopped us  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Now these photos that I came across might offer some credence to that ----

If you look carefully at the Typhoon in this pic, you can see what I did.   ;)

NARSES2

Quote from: perttime on May 22, 2020, 06:22:33 AM

I was reading some Typhoon articles yesterday, and one thing that struck me was that they soon decided to let each SQUADRON focus on either rockets or bombs. Not both. Apparently, they got significantly better hits when the pilot could focus on one method of delivering the goods.

Very much so, and they all started off with bombs in the first place when they shifted to the fighter bomber role, rockets came along quite a bit latter.

Quote from: perttime on May 22, 2020, 06:22:33 AM

They did carry drop tanks and 2 rockets per wing when more range was needed.

Yup I've seen photos of that, see Kitnut's above, and I've built a model of one with that configuration, just haven't seen the tanks replaced by bombs.

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on May 22, 2020, 06:25:27 AM

I did one of my Typhoons like that Chris, mainly because I had seen a photo of one showing just that. Now the 'little grey cells' tell me it might have been for training purposes ---- but when has that ever stopped us  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Cheers mate  :thumbsup:

I do like the loadout on that one above