Hawker Typhoon, Tempest, and Sea Fury

Started by Gary, August 15, 2005, 12:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

If what I read recently that a RP3 with a 60lb warhead had a total weight of 100lb is correct, that means that inner load is about the same as the bomb (400lb of RP's and maybe another 100lb for all the other gubbins).

I just remembered something about the doubled up RP's, they were fired together ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Gondor

Not seen any pictures with both bombs and rockets, I suppose there was nothing to stop them being loaded out like that if fuel tanks and rockets could be used. I can see one problem though, you would not want to fire your rockets and drop your bombs at the same time so unless the firing circit was selectable  it would be all or nothing.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitbasher

Request for information, please. 

Can anyone cast light on which [EDIT] RAF fighter squadrons were slated to be part of Tiger Force when initial establishment plans were being drawn up following the Quebec Conference? 

I know Tempest IIs and dH Hornets were the intended equipment but which units?

Many thanks in advance.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

I've only got an order of battle for 15th August Dave and I think that's purely the 3 planned bomber groups. I'll have another look, but most of my books are on the BPF.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Thanks Chris, much appreciated.  The little I have on Tiger Force plus what's immediately available through't Tinterweb focuses on the more definitive bomber-centric force without mentioning the fighters.

What I have found in the dark recesses of Operation Downfall material is that 6 fighter squadrons were proposed following the second Quebec Conference (1944).  IIRC 54 Sqn plus at least one other was working up on Tempest IIs at Chilbolton around VE Day - were all of the planned Tempest II units destined for Tiger Force?

The Hornet entered service with 64 and 19 Sqns in 1946.  Had the Hornet's introduction not been affected by delays, could both units have been part of Tiger Force, rather than re-equip with Mustangs in 1945?

EDIT:

• My well-thumbed (1988) copy of Owen Thetford's 'Aircraft of the RAF Since 1918' states that 183 Sqn (later renumbered 54 Sqn) was first to receive Tempest IIs, then 247 Sqn.  Wikipedia has 183 getting their Tempest IIs in Aug 45 and renumbered 54 Sqn in Nov 45, with 247 Sqn getting also getting theirs in Aug 45.  54 Sqn was based in Australia with Spitfire VIIIs up to disbandment in Nov 45 and 183's renumbering later that month.
  • I don't see 54 being re-equipped and moved to join Tiger Force, rather European Theatre fighter squadrons redeployed/re-equipped (as were bomber squadrons) to form Tiger Force.  Of course the fighter element was dropped before Aug 45, but what if it hadn't?  Would 183 and 247 headed east, I wonder?  I'm going to hazard a guess and say yes, but would welcome any insights/confirmation

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Gondor on May 22, 2020, 07:42:25 AM
Not seen any pictures with both bombs and rockets, I suppose there was nothing to stop them being loaded out like that if fuel tanks and rockets could be used. I can see one problem though, you would not want to fire your rockets and drop your bombs at the same time so unless the firing circit was selectable  it would be all or nothing.

Gondor

From what I've read, they were never used together due to different methods of delivery to target. One flight with rockets, another with bombs.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

perttime

Quote from: Zero-Sen on June 11, 2022, 06:56:02 PM

I remember seeing the Speed Typhoon before. It still looks "right" to me.  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

It does look good, very much so.

But to be very JMN-ish, it couldn't use 'N.17' as its reggie as 'N' was allocated to Supermarine. I'm miles away from my book on these things so I can't say which code was Hawker's, sorry.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Thanks for that Jim, you're closer to your Class B reggie book than I am I guess.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Schneider Speed Typhon floatplane, delete the chin radiator add surface radiators.  ;)

zenrat

Very good, but it needs turbos on the top of the booms and radiators on the sides (the chin inlets* being for an intercooler).

*Chinlets?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..