Whatif many indigenous fighters projects

Started by Archibald, June 09, 2006, 06:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archibald

During the 80's, (or before) plenty of countries started their own indigenous fighter program.
I think about

- Lavi (Israel)
- Iae 90 (Argentina)
- Novi Avion (Yougoslavia)
- Cava (South Africa)
- F-X (Japan, before they copied the F-16 instead)
- IAR-95 (Romania)
- CAC CA-30 (Australia. Ok, its a trainer, from the late 60's, but supersonic with delta wing :) )
Don(t know if I forget one (the LCA, T-50, or J-10 does not count: they are not whatif planes!!!)
We all know why these planes were cancelled : end of the cold-war, cost overruns, its cheaper to buy F-16 or Mirages and the like..
But here is a whatif world, so we have the right to imagine that all these lovely projects entered service and sold worlwide...
what do you think about that?  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Family Guy

Cool Idea!!

So we should not forget the russian/soviet suchoj s-32!!! its such a fine plane...harr..

Archibald

Thanks, guy! That's many years I browsed  the web, and I discovered plenty of projects from countries I have never thought they could make their own combat aircraft...
Another interesting era is the 50's/ 60's you can find Canada (of course!) but also australia, Switzerland, spain, argentina...
Just love the CA-30!!  
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Archibald

Here they are, the 6 indigenous fighters design join :)  

Son of Damian

Iae 90 (Argentina) Novi Avion (Yougoslavia) IAR-95 (Romania) are any of these in you collage of pics, Archibald?
"They stand in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die that freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings. Freedom lives, and through it, they live–
in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men."

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

PolluxDeltaSeven

The Novi Avion is up on the right, with the canards. The Grey Hornet-like plane on the right, in the middle, is the Argentina's project and the plane down on the left is the IAR-95...
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

Sentinel Chicken

Anyone got pictures of the original F-X proposal from Japan? And I think that Australian bird was the CA31 as the CA30 if I'm not mistaken was the Macchi jet trainer.  

Maverick

I've got half a dozen or so pics... am having trouble uploading tho... so pm me & i'll forward them on

Looks soooo much better than the lawn dart on steroids

elmayerle

The evolution of the Lavi is rather interesting, the original concept was somewhat smaller and powered by a F404.  It went through several evolutions, including some collaborative studies with different companies and ultimately ended up with what flew.  IMHO, they'd have had a better chance with some of the more interesting collaborative efforts.  *smile* Would've helped more than just them, too.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Archibald

QuoteAnyone got pictures of the original F-X proposal from Japan? And I think that Australian bird was the CA31 as the CA30 if I'm not mistaken was the Macchi jet trainer.
I thought about this one, too. I saw a picture somewhere...but can't remember where :( Maybe in Key Publishing
Maverick I'm very interested by our picts to complete my "collection" .
And that's right, the australian bird was the CA-31, but my brain is exhausted this week  :dum:
I think it could be nice try to imagine what country could have bought this plane.
For Yougoslavia and the Novi Avion for example (au fait, this thing really looks like a single engine rafale, no???)  :D  

borntokillagain

borntokillagain

borntokillagain

Leigh

The picture of that South African one (Cava?) just looks like a tarted up Javelin to me.

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models