Whatif many indigenous fighters projects

Started by Archibald, June 09, 2006, 06:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmayerle

The original FX derivative of the F-16 had canards like the YF-16CCV and the AFTI-16.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Archibald

Yes, but the Japanese decided to start from the F-16 only in 1987. Before that (from 1981) they have made their own indigenous design. borntokillagain, These pictures are lovely!!! but I can't say if this is the original concept of the F-X or not
:(  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

borntokillagain

I cant confirm that was the original F-X either but it was one of the designs.

http://www.strange-mecha.com/jsdf/jasdf/JASDF13.htm

And the F-16 AFTI derived FS-X

Archibald

Thanks again. These designs look waaaaaay better than the F-2. One of these design was a twin-engine fighter, no? if the engine were the same as the F-2, this was amonster of fighter... the chinese din't renounce to develop their own design. But they were lucky : only the tian-an-men slaughter of june 1989 prevent the american selling, once again, one of their design (Grumman J-9).
It's fascinating seeing the number of F-5/ F-16/ F-18 derivatives
- SAIA-90
- T-50
- ching kuo
- F-2
They all have the same look...
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

borntokillagain

Yeah they probably favoured a twin engine configuration for the original FS-X. This is reflected by the other FS-X proposals using the Tornado ADV, F-15 and F-18 as base.

Don't forget the original H-7/FBC-1 was a swing winger and almost like an enlarged Tornado.

Archibald

Now, just imagine a country full of petro dollars with
- twin-engine F-X as interceptor
- J-10 and Lavi as multirole fighters
- T-50 as trainer

GTX

I thought this one was the original Su-37?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

QuoteThanks, guy! That's many years I browsed the web, and I discovered plenty of projects from countries I have never thought they could make their own combat aircraft...
Another interesting era is the 50's/ 60's you can find Canada (of course!) but also australia, Switzerland, spain, argentina...

Yes many countries used to have quite capable aircraft design capabilities - it's a pity it isn't still the case.  Imagine how much more interesting it would be to have modern offerrings from all over the world rather than the bland F-16 etc.?

As for Australian aircraft, does anyone know if the four-volume work "Australian-Built Aircraft,and the Industry" by Keith Meggs (former RAAF Fighter pilot) is available?  More info here.  It is described as an encyclopedic, four-volume work on every aircraft type proposed, designed or manufactured in Australia from 1884 to the mid-1980s!  I have tried the e-mail on this page, but it is inactive.

Regards,

Greg

Nick

GTX

Did some more searching and have found that apparently the Aviation Historical Society of Australia (AHSA) were to publish the book(s) with the help of the Australian Government's Commemorations Program, Saluting Their Service in late 2005/early 2006 - see here:

"Release Date : AUGUST 02, 2005

LOCAL HISTORICAL SOCIETY TO PUBLISH REFERENCE HISTORY OF AUSTRALIAN BUILT AIRCRAFT

The Aviation Historical Society of Australia will publish a reference book on the aircraft that were built in Australia over the last century with the help of the Australian Government's Commemorations Program, Saluting Their Service, Senator for Victoria, Judith Troeth announced today.

"The author, Mr Keith Meggs, a decorated Korean War veteran, has been working on the project for almost 50 years. Mr Meggs is recognised as one of the leading authorities on Australian built aircraft, and has covered over 540 types of aircraft in his compilation," Senator Troeth said.

"The project will provide a reference source on the aircraft that were built in Australia over the last century, including those used during World War II and Vietnam."

"The Aviation Historical Society of Australia is to be congratulated for its initiative, and I am pleased that the Government is able to lend its support," Senator Troeth said.

The Australian Government has awarded Mr Meggs and the Aviation Historical Society of Australia $3,000 under the Saluting Their Service program to ensure the successful publication of their aircraft reference book.

"Saluting Their Service encourages the community to remember and honour the contribution made by Australians who have served in wars, conflicts and peace operations since Federation," Senator Troeth said.

Since the launch of the commemorations program in 1997, more than $9 million in grants have been approved to over 4,000 ex-service and community organisations.

Projects supported have included the restoration and construction of community war memorials, displays of wartime memorabilia and commemoration of significant wartime anniversaries. "

I have sent an e-mail to AHSA asking for details.  hopefully should get a positive result soon.

Regards,

Greg

elmayerle

Please share the info when you get it as I rather suspect a number of us will be interested.  
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Archibald

There was an article in Air enthusiast some years ago about CAC projects. Somemone scanned me the article. CAC some  interesting jets projects
First was a heavy all-weather fighter, another project was an ultralight fighter around the RR Avon RA-7R. The most interesting were the XP-65 and XP-67 mach-2 fighters. They look like the plane of Batman :P
And of course there was the CA-31...
I think it could be interesting modelling the XP-65 Warrior

QuoteImagine how much more interesting it would be to have modern offerrings from all over the world rather than the bland F-16 etc.?

An interesting story is the destiny of the two nazi ingeniers Messerchmit and Tank.
Tank went to Argentina, creating the Iae-33 Pulqui II in 1951. then he moved to India, creating the HF-24 Marut. Its competitor Willy Messerchmit first went to SPain were he draw the piston-engined trainer HA-100, the jet-powered HA-200. the most daring thing is the story of the HA-300, started in Spain then moved to Egypt with technical assitance from India and... Kurt Tank.
This story really intrigate me...

GTX

Yes, I have that copy of Air Enthusiast.  These would be some of the creations you are referring to:

The CAC XP-68:

which was developed from the CAC XP-65 Warrior:

Regards,

Greg

GTX

QuotePlease share the info when you get it as I rather suspect a number of us will be interested.

Don't worry - I will tell all.

Regards,

Greg

Archibald

Just imagine CAC create such fighter and manage to sell it to the RAAF or even RNZAF? Less F-104 and Mirage III sold overseas... :)
Must made a model of the P-68 !!!