AH-1G+ Hueycobra

Started by Spey_Phantom, June 11, 2006, 01:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

just started production of my Mastercraft 1/72 AH-1G.

after my F-8EP and Archibalds CL-1200 Lancer,
this will become a Belgian army helicopter with a camo sheme as that of the F-104G.

although there will be slight difference, im going to upgrade this chopper with Chaff/Flare dispencers, modern cockpit, detailed pilots and various new weapons, im currently looking at sea skua, CVR-7, AIM-9,....
she will be upgraded to a standard that nears that of the AH-1W

Back history:

As of 1968, Soviet agression began to increase, and the US army in europe didnt have the manpower to stop the soviets if an invasion was to happen. this has made it for more countries a priority to buy there own attack helicopters to support there troops. Belgium witch used armed versions of the Allouette II, found out that these helicopters would seem inferiour to its soviet enemies.

in 1970, the ministery of defence ordered the purchase of 36 advanced attack/recce helicopters, and in 1971 the AH-1G was chosen to enter service with the first deliveries in august 1973. the helicopters were devided into 3 regiments within the Belgian Army. in 1980, 5 ex-Spanish navy AH-1G's were purchased as a source of spare parts.

the helicopters were very agile and robust, and in 1992, they ordered to upgrade the helicopters. SABCA upgraded and modified 30 AH-1G's to the AH-1G+ standard. these incorporated a new cockpit with multirole display screens, capability to carry the SAAB Heli-tow, Hellfire, Trigat missiles, Mistral and stinger AAM's. as of 2008, the helicopters will be withdrawn, and replaced by 12 newbuild Tiger ARH's.

below is an image of how the helicopter would look like when its done. i will post pics often to show you the upgrade in progress  B)  
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Shasper

Keeping the miniguns in the turret, or adding a bigger 'stick'?

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Spey_Phantom

update:

mastercraft really dissapointed me when i saw that there was no instrument panel in the chopper, anyway, i finished the cockpit, the pilot figs are from a couple of airfix kits (dont ask me witch ones) as these were smaller and more detailed then the ones that came with the kit.

i also pasted 2 chaff/flare dispensers from a hasegawa F-14 kit on the tail, although these are not visible right now.

just pasted the 2 fuselage centers together, sorry for the graini pics, 2 much sunshine here right now and the batteries of my camera were running low  -_-
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

wolfik

oh my goooooooooooooooooooooood! :blink:  mastercraft??????????????
the only think which is worth some money is the art on the box.... :huh:
you are the man!!!!!!!

lancer

Although they are both non wiff's, I'll post my Mastercraft SU22's up. They do turn into pretty good builds actually.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Patrick H

Like the way you're thinking Nils, Lovely chopper, keep them pictures coming

:cheers:

Patrick
My webpage

The engines spit out fire, I'm pushed back in my chair
The pressure gives me thrills as we climb in the air

B777LR

QuoteThe trenchlines give it away. It's the Matchbox tooling.
I agree with wooksta.

Good job doing it so good!

:cheers:  

Nick

QuoteThe trenchlines give it away.  It's the Matchbox tooling.
I disagree. I have two of these, one being built right now and they look different in a few ways.

The nose is much more pointed than the Matchbox kit.
There is an intake on the rear fuselage in the photo which is not on the Matchbox kit.
The canopy looks different too.
Some trenchlines are different.

If I can sort out the markings mine will be a Royal Marines version in dark green and brown.

Nick B)  

Spey_Phantom

i havnt have much time to take pictures during the progress, but i did manage to get some progress, she is now about 80% complete.

decals have already been aplied, the color sheme was suposed to be a 2-tone green/brown sheme, but then i added some desertsand color into it and turned out quite well, kinda Isreali like  B)

picture time:

1: a forward view.
2: a grainy pic of the Chaff/flare dispencer on the tail (damn thing has no zoom)

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.