K

The Falklands Project

Started by K5054NZ, June 14, 2006, 04:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K5054NZ

I've decided to bring upon myself the mammoth task of modeling one example of each aircraft type used in the Falklands War/Malvinas Reclamation Conflict.

And I mean the "real" one, not a whiffy one. My apologies, but my heart is still with the RW scene.

I';ve decided to make this a tad trickier by suddenly wanting to do it in time for the 25th anniversary of the Argentine surrender - IE, 365 days from today.

God help me.

I've already done a Super Etendard, got a Vulcan waiting for paint (anyone got the missiles used in Black Buck???) and now, the Skyhawk:

I have some styrene ready to be the basis of the spine where the hump was, and, god willing, the fuse may be together by the end of the day.

The models won't be done to the highest standard, but as you all know I'm a Falklands nut, and I want to do this.

If you know of anyone with a Pucara model, please let me know.

I Love Pucaras.

elmayerle

QuoteIf you know of anyone with a Pucara model, please let me know.
You mean like this one?

Also, SOL Modelissmo in Argentina lists an upcoming 1/48 one, with various conversion kits, from Aconcagua (don't know if this is a new, old, or redone tool) and AVN Hobbies in Chile also lists a 1/72 one, but at between two and three times the price of that Gran kit.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Captain Canada

Cool. I have a big retro-plan for the RCN and RCAF, with quite a few birds built and ready for paint.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote(anyone got the missiles used in Black Buck???)
Got loads in 1:72 and 1:48 - drop me a PM.....

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Erm...... Zac, which version of Skyhawk is that ?? - the Argentines used refurbished A-4B's and C's. That looks suspiciously like an 'E' ya got there.
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

K5054NZ

She is, hence the hump having been hacked off. It's Italeri's A-4E/F kit.

Hobbes

Weren't the Black Buck raids done with bombs?  

elmayerle

QuoteWeren't the Black Buck raids done with bombs?
There was an external fit, using the old and unused Skybolt hardpoints, to carry Shrikes.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

seavixen

Vulcan XM597 was equipped with 2 or 4 AGM-45 Shrike anti-radar missiles depending on mission reqs.
Stackridge: Rhubarb Thrashers of the World Unite

MartG

There was an external fit, using the old and unused Skybolt hardpoints, to carry Shrikes.
IIRC the pylons were made from six feet of RSJ ( steel I section beam )  :lol:  
Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

lancer

IIRC the pylons were made from six feet of RSJ ( steel I section beam )  :lol:
Thats one hell of a way tho beef up the wing strength.. :D  :D  :D  :D  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

nev

Zac, you may be interested to know there is a Falklands War GB on ARC

http://s102164210.onlinehome.us/forums/ind...36&hl=falklands

I believe there is a list in there somewhere of ALL the aircraft that fought in the war.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Brian da Basher

Nice progress there Zac! I too am fascinated by the Falklands conflict and can never see enough models from it. I'll be watching this one with great interest.

Brian da Basher

seavixen

Stackridge: Rhubarb Thrashers of the World Unite

Leigh

Don't forget Falklands II- England vs Argentina 1986
and Falklands the Return- England vs Argentina 1998

I believe Airfix make Footballers so you can do some of the combatants and for reference "The Hand of God " wasn't wearing fingerless gloves.

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models